Copy/Paste & Drag/Drop Not Working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Ziggy

Copy/Paste & Drag/Drop Not Working

Post by Ziggy »

I have done some looking around, but can't figure out why I can't get Shared Clipboard and Drag & Drop to work on my VBox install.

- It's recently downloaded and installed verion of VBox (on a mac host)
- I enabled both Clipboard & Drag/Drop in the menu options (and checked the settings of the vm to be sure)
- I installed Guest Additions on the guest (linux)
- Version of GA I installed is what came with VBox (assuming its the latest) using the menu to load the cd to guest

Any insight to mistakes I've made or things I've missed would be appreciated :)
Attachments
log.zip
(25.18 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy/Paste & Drag/Drop Not Working

Post by mpack »

Please don't conflate issues: clipboard copy/paste and drag/drop are entirely separate features.

What does "work" mean to you? What exactly are you trying to do? (answer separately for each feature please).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I fail to see how this is a conflation of issues and of course they are seperate features, hence why they have seperate entries in the menu and perform 2 seperate functions.

I'm perfectly aware that the clipboard is for copy and pasting of text based information while drag and drop would be used for the moving of files between the guest and host.

My definition of working? Being able to do the above.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Conflating as in one post covering two subjects, which is against the forum rules, which my duties as moderator require me to mention.
Ziggy wrote: I'm perfectly aware that the clipboard is for copy and pasting of text based information while drag and drop would be used for the moving of files between the guest and host.
You did not provide that information in your original post. Which is why I had to ask.

You seem mainly interested in arguing the toss about nothing, whereas I am not, so I'll now leave you for someone else.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Wasn't trying to argue with you, just replying to what seemed like a condecending remark and don't see how explaining that we both know what the function of each were in my original post helped the conversation. Seems reasonable to assume that I understood the function of each rather than making the assumption that I don't know what I'm looking for.

As to it being two seperate subjects, being two features added by the use of Guest Additions and neither working felt like a singular issue as it points to a singular problem (likely of my own making) of Guest Additions not being deployed properly.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I'm not an expert but a quick read through the log file seems to show that you have a .vmdk file connected to a LSI Logic SCSI controller.

This is non-standard and usually means that there is something else in play other than the vanilla VirtualBox.

May not be relevant but where did you get the machine configuration and disk image from?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.