[Solved] Windows 10 Host/Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mjgreer

[Solved] Windows 10 Host/Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

Post by mjgreer »

I can't believe that no one else has posted this problem.

I have a Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit OS. I've enabled Virtualization Technology in BIOS. I installed both VirtualBox 5.2.6 and 5.2.8 and the latest Expansion Pack.

As soon as I type Linux as the operating system, I am only presented with a list of 32-bit Linux distributions. I noticed, that for any Windows OS, I get the same result.

What do I need to do to get VirtualBox to offer me a 64-bit platform?

-Mike :?
Last edited by mjgreer on 17. Mar 2018, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia Else

Re: Windows 10 Host/Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

Post by Sylvia Else »

I note that with at least one BIOS, after virtualisation is enabled, it's necessary to power the machine off, and disconnect the power supply power, then reconnect and turn it on again, not merely restart it. Quite why this should be escapes me, but it would be worth ensuring that you've done that.

If there's any mention of "Long Mode" in the BIOS, make sure it's enabled.

Sylvia.
mjgreer

Re: Windows 10 Host/Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

Post by mjgreer »

Thanks Sylvia,

But, I've had Virtualization turned on for a long time. It may have been turned on since I got the machine, so I'm sure it has been powered on and off, and, since I recently put in a new HD, the power cord has been removed since then.

The BIOS settings are quite cryptic. It is a fancy proprietary BIOS put out by MSI. I recently put in a new motherboard, an MSI Tomahawk Arctic H270.

In all of the VirtualBox setup videos I've watched, they all power up with Windows 64-bit in the "version" window of "Create Virtual Machine". Why mine all start with the (32-bit) is the mystery.

-Mike :?:
mjgreer

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Host/Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

Post by mjgreer »

To anyone reading this thread.

This was caused by a BIOS setting. I wish I could say which one, but, I played with my BIOS settings to the point where I was stuck in a BIOS loop. To get out of the loop, I just went back to the default BIOS settings, and, then afterwards, after my system rebooted, I then had access to the 64-bit platforms.

I have an H270 Tomahawk Arctic motherboard, and its BIOS is MSI Click Boot 5.

-Mike
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Windows 10 Host/Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.