Files transfers from linux guest to USB freeze

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Beans3

Files transfers from linux guest to USB freeze

Post by Beans3 »

Hi,

I am struggling with transferring files from my linux mint guest via USB. The transfer rates start off fast (plus 20mb/per sec) but then slow (less that 5mb/per sec) and then usually freeze completely and remains frozen. I then have to either eject the USB or close the VM completely.

The size of the file transfer seems irrelevant - big and small files can lead to freezes. I have followed these steps at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82639 but the problem persists. I have also tried setting the following parameters into into /etc/sysctl.conf
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5
vm.dirty_ratio = 10

and running sudo sysctl -p

as per this post https://askubuntu.com/questions/397249/ ... ile-to-usb but have doubts about whether this achieved anything!

A log from a complete start/login/plug_USB/unplug_USB/shutdown cycle is attached. A log of the following commands is attached:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage -version
VBoxManage list extpacks
VBoxManage list usbhost
VBoxManage list usbfilters
VBoxManage showvminfo "<Your_Virtual_Machine_Name>"
System info.
VirtualBox version 5.2.8 r121009
Guest Additions version 5.2.8
Attachments
Terminal Saved Output2.zip
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
linux download 2-2018-03-14-16-39-16.log.zip
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by socratis on 14. Mar 2018, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Files transfers from linux guest to USB freeze

Post by mpack »

Having you tried accessing the USB drive as a shared folder instead?
Beans3

Post by Beans3 »

Thanks for the response, mpack.

No, I haven't tried that. I can give that a try. Do you know of any guidance I can follow to set that up?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Just go into the VM settings and configure a shared folder - see section 3.12 of the user manual.

Do remember that you can't have it has a shared folder and a USB device at the same time. I.e. disable the USB filter if you have one, and don't try to grab it as a USB device: the host has to own it.
Beans3

Post by Beans3 »

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Hmmm, I would prefer not to use a shared drive if possible, as I want to keep the VM 'quarantined' from the host as much as I can. Transferring files from VM straight to the USB without directly going through the host helps keep this separation.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't believe a USB drive is any safer than a shared folder. Just don't keep anything in the folder (or USB stick) if you don't want it to be shared, and be very careful about storing executable files in there.

p.s. It's a shared folder, not a shared drive. You don't have to share the root folder.
Beans3

Post by Beans3 »

mpack, I followed your advice and in the manual is says 'Shared folders must physically reside on the host...', which is exactly what I want to avoid. I want to transfer the files from the guest to the USB with the no, or at the very least minimum, contact with the host for security reasons.

Would you be able to help with the USB transfer problem I have? USB is the best option for me.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

A plugged-in USB drive counts as "on the host". Unless your USB drive is wireless, you're going to have to connect it, neh? There's no problem (on the VB side) with unplugging it once you're done (other than the fact that you'll need to un-/re-mount it in the guest if you're leaving the guest running).