vboxvideo not found

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jerm

vboxvideo not found

Post by Jerm »

Good morning all. I am very new to virtualbox so this might be a stupid question. I am running virtualbox version 5.2.8 r121009 on Windows 10 Red Hat 4.8.5.11 and I can't get my desktop to load. I have installed the guest editions and that worked fine. When I run startx I don't get a desktop. The log indicates 'failed to load module vboxvideo (module does not exist,0)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vboxvideo not found

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts". Your problem is with your guest, not your host.

RedHat 4.8.5.11? Isn't that a little bit old? Any particular reason for that? Where did you get it, is there an ISO we can try?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jerm

Post by Jerm »

more redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo)

what I posted was the kernel level
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Post the full details, a little bit less... confusingly next time. For example, if your "uname -a" shows a kernel level really recent, then you should be trying the latest test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.