Guest Additions Fail to Build on Scientific Linux (RHEL) 7.4

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
pkMyt1

Guest Additions Fail to Build on Scientific Linux (RHEL) 7.4

Post by pkMyt1 »

I have tried vbox 5.2.8 and the 5.2.9 beta. Both give the same error. I have attached the screen shots of the information I saw. Anyone have any ideas?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.71 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Guest Additions Fail to Build on Scientific Linux (RHEL) 7.4

Post by andyp73 »

You have updated your kernel to one that includes the retpoline feature which is part of the remediation for Meltdown/Spectre but you haven't updated your compiler to a version that knows how to compile that extra support in.

Start by making sure that the compiler package has been updated to the latest from Red Hat. If they haven't put it into their standard repositories yet then you may need to do some searching around on the web.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
pkMyt1

Re: Guest Additions Fail to Build on Scientific Linux (RHEL) 7.4

Post by pkMyt1 »

I was afraid that is what the problem is. As far as I can tell one needs >=gcc 7.x to provide that. I have not found any RPM's for gcc 7.x or 8.x that are compatible with RHEL. For now I have a kernel pre-patch that works but I will have to change that soon. I guess I will learn how to compile gcc.

I just compiled gcc 7.3 which is supposed to have the patch. Still get the same error. This is obviously much more involved.
Last edited by socratis on 13. Mar 2018, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.