[Solved] Installing 16.04 or Upgrading from 14.04 Crashes to Blinking Cursor

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
theimmortal

[Solved] Installing 16.04 or Upgrading from 14.04 Crashes to Blinking Cursor

Post by theimmortal »

I'm really sorry for what will probably be a quick fix, and I don't know what information to provide to help diagnose the issue here. I've spent the last two days' free time trying to properly re-install the most standard version of Ubuntu on VirtualBox.

This initially started because I accepted an update for VBox to the most recent edition (5.2.8 r121009). Suddenly I was unable to startup any of my local Ubuntu VBoxes.

Thought process:
- This must be a problem with my VBox update. I attempted to downgrade VBox to a prior version. No luck. I went back at 5.2.8.

- This must be a problem with the boot operation. I downloaded the most recent ISOs from Ubuntu 16.04 to recover it.
+ Using the original/problematic VBox, the ISO disc would not load - it went straight to the flashing cursor.
+ If booted to HD, GRUB menu would appear. Any boot options would return to flashing cursor. No luck.

- This is taking too much time - make a new one. I attempted to create a brand-new VBox with my fresh ISO on my fresh install of VBox.
+ In the new VBox, the ISO would load directly to the blank screen with blinking cursor.

- Maybe there is a problem with Ubuntu's ISO. I downloaded it from another source. No change.

- There might be some incongruity with 16.04 and the newest version of VBox. I downloaded 14.04's ISO. PROGRESS! This worked, and I was able to install through Guest Additions, but once I tried to update it the system crashed and has returned to that cursor.

Log files are attached here:
Logs.zip
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by socratis on 9. Mar 2018, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing 16.04 or Upgrading from 14.04 Crashes to Blinking Cursor

Post by socratis »

theimmortal wrote:Log file on the new VBox is too big.
Even if you ZIP it? Which BTW you should do for your existing "Initially Broken VBox.txt" log; edit your message and replace the log with its ZIPPED version. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
00:00:01.952791 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
You need to address this. Your i7-7500U certainly supports it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
theimmortal

Post by theimmortal »

socratis wrote:Even if you ZIP it? Which BTW you should do for your existing "Initially Broken VBox.txt" log; edit your message and replace the log with its ZIPPED version. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
You, sir, are smarter than me. Thank you. I've attached both here and deleted the original.
00:00:01.952791 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
I will look into a fix for that. It runs pretty slow!
theimmortal

Post by theimmortal »

I fixed the VT-X settings on my Windows PC by changing the settings for UEFI and rebooting to BIOS. Now I can use multiple cores of memory for VBox, and I can enable settings like PAE/NX (System>Processor) and VT-X (System>Acceleration). The added memory set up the system to actually follow through with the boot. I was able to download a boot-repair ISO and, after running it two times, was successful in repairing GRUB.

Just in case anybody reads the same threads I did previously: do not change your network host settings. I read some strange forum results and changed my host name, which started to spam my email with rootkit warnings. But that's easy to fix.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.