No Audio CentOS 7 guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jim P

No Audio CentOS 7 guest

Post by Jim P »

No GUI, and want to hear the system sounds on my Windows 7 host. For example, within vim editor, I want to hear the pings when I hit esc, type colon, etc. I have installed Guest Additions, and Extensions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Log attached.
Attachments
CentOS 7 terminal-2018-03-08-13-51-28.log
(93.41 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No Audio CentOS 7 guest

Post by socratis »

1. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two...
  2. That's the "system beep" that you're referring to. See https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/627
    (Hint: it's set as WontFix)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jim P

Post by Jim P »

1. OK, will do.
2. See Comment 6

Changed 23 months ago by frank
Status changed from new to closed
Resolution set to fixed
Part of VBox 5.0.18.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Oops... Sorry about that, I spoke too fast, I just looked at the summary of the ticket: "-> won't fix". D'Oh :shock:

I tried with a couple of Unixy guests (OSX 10.11.6, Fedora 25, Ubuntu 16.04) and on my native OSX, and the following command produces a "beep":
  • echo -ne '\007'
I installed a minimal CentOS 7.4, and nothing, not a sound (not a beep to be exact). So, maybe there's a package that needs to be installed in a minimal installation? Some config that has to be changed from within the guest?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jim P

Post by Jim P »

Thanks, I'll see what I can find.