difference between 'versions' within 'type' dropdown when installing

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
olivercfc

difference between 'versions' within 'type' dropdown when installing

Post by olivercfc »

When installing, you first select linux as the 'type' and then pick a version. These are arch32/arch64/debian32/debian64 etc

What is the real difference under the hood? For example, why would I pick 'linux 4.x 64bit' over 'other linux 64 bit'?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: difference between 'versions' within 'type' dropdown when installing

Post by socratis »

Take a look at "Template defaults (Global.cpp revisions)". I've included a .csv file that you can import in your favorite spreadsheet for a quick overview of the differences...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
olivercfc

Post by olivercfc »

Amazing... perfect. Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you found it useful. :)
A couple of notes if you imported the CSV in a spreadsheet:
  • Columns B (Name) and column F (Full Name) are the same; B#==F#. It simply helps me when I use the "freeze pane" feature of LibreOffice (and MSOffice), that's why I wanted the full name at the beginning of the columns.
  • Colums C (Family) through column T (AudioCodecType) are auto-parsed from https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox ... Global.cpp with the help of a small script that strips the information and keeps only the different proposed defaults.
  • The rest of the columns are sort of duplicates, columns U (64-bit flag) through column AH (X2APIC flag), are basically all the hints for a VM, and are auto-parsed from column H (Hints) in the spreadsheet.
  • Try the Data » More filters » Auto-filter feature of your spreadsheet editor...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.