[WorksForMe] Ubuntu not working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Wingo

[WorksForMe] Ubuntu not working

Post by Wingo »

Good evening. :)
I am forced to ask for help since my virtual machine is not doing what it's supposed to do anymore.
Basically, I started ubuntu (16.04 LTS) as always, and it always got me the "fatal error" guru thing.
So I did like last time (yes it already happened once), I uninstalled the machine (didn't really have any important file) and reinstalled, and everything worked fine.
This time, tho, it just stayed on the black screen with the little line ticking.
Since the update message popped on I decided to update to 5.2.8, but that didn't fix anything.
So, anybody knows how to solve this little issue?
Also, let me know if you can help me improve the virtual machine performances since it was kinda slow (i need to code with c for the university, it's not like I need it to go perfectly but it would be better).
I don't know if it is useful information but I am using an HP Spectre X360 with 8th gen i7 intel core. If there is any need for more specs i'll just comment them.
Thanks for any help in advance :D
Last edited by socratis on 8. Mar 2018, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu not working

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Wingo

Post by Wingo »

here you go
Attachments
Ubuntu-2018-03-07-08-43-36.zip
(21.02 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Hmmm, I see nothing in the log file that suggests a guru meditation having taken place.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:05.123861 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
You are running Windows 10 Version 1709 so as well as checking that VT-x is enabled in the system BIOS make sure that Hyper-V hasn't got hold of it. With this version of Windows 10 just unchecking it in Windows Features isn't enough there are some commands you also need to run.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
sleewok
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Ubuntu Server

Post by sleewok »

I just updated to 5.2.8 as well. Ubuntu boots fine and I am able to login. However, after a few minutes the screen goes black. I am able to switch into the console so there is something going on with the video. I did not have this issue with the previous test build.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Wingo

Post by Wingo »

andyp73 wrote:Hmmm, I see nothing in the log file that suggests a guru meditation having taken place.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:05.123861 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
You are running Windows 10 Version 1709 so as well as checking that VT-x is enabled in the system BIOS make sure that Hyper-V hasn't got hold of it. With this version of Windows 10 just unchecking it in Windows Features isn't enough there are some commands you also need to run.

-Andy.
it seems weird because I already used VirtualBox for almost two months and didn't really have any problem, neither I had to do anything with the bios whatsoever. anyways I guess the logs do not show any guru message because after the update and all the screen just stays black.
Wingo

Post by Wingo »

Ok guys I seriously don't know what happened, but everything is working fine now. actually, even better than before!! ubuntu know is super smooth and reactive, I cant figure out what happened I swear!!! thanks for all the help I guess :D :D :D :D :D :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.