[Solved] GA not working anymore / vboxguest not compiling

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Juan A.

[Solved] GA not working anymore / vboxguest not compiling

Post by Juan A. »

Hi all.

I'm a bit confused about what has happened to my VM (windows 10 host, Ubuntu 14.04 guest kernel 4.4.0-116). I've tried different VB versions just in case (5.2.7, 5.2.6, 5.1.32) with the same result so I think it's definitely something in the guest.

Yesterday some packages in the linux guest got updated (a lot, actually) and since them, I'm not able to use GA. It seems to be related with signing the vbox modules (maybe secure boot?)

The errorI'm getting while trying to install the GA are in the image attached. I think that my kernel has been reconfigured for whatever reason to use signed kernel modules, so I tried to avoid it:

Code: Select all

mokutil --disable-validation
but the result was catastrophic: no longer able to start a x11 session and had to enable again.

Can anyone explain what has happened and how to fix it?

Thanks!
Attachments
printscr.JPG
printscr.JPG (75.41 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
Last edited by socratis on 5. Mar 2018, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Juan A.

Re: GA not working anymore / vboxguest not compiling

Post by Juan A. »

Just to clarify, the secure boot is *not* enabled.

Edit: I have included logs just in case it may help. I can see the following error:

00:00:03.154580 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: VirtualBox 5.2.8
00:00:03.154702 PCI: setting up resources and interrupts
00:00:03.169882 SUP: Loaded VBoxEhciR0.r0 (C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxEhciR0.r0) at 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - ModuleInit at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and ModuleTerm at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX using the native ring-0 loader
00:00:03.169910 SUP: windbg> .reload /f C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxEhciR0.r0=0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
00:00:03.170030 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005) aIID={76eed314-3c72-4bbb-95cf-5eb4947a4041} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
But I think it has nothing to do with the problem.

Other thing I've found is the following error in syslog:

vboxguest: version magic '4.4.0-116-generic SMP mod_unload modversions ' should be '4.4.0-116-generic SMP mod_unload modversions retpoline '
Any idea here?

****EDIT****
Searching for the syslog error I've found the solution (cannot post links yet, but it's easy to find). Need to download gcc to 4.8.4, recompile and works fine.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(49.96 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
RND-E

Post by RND-E »

Hi,

seems I just run into the same problem. I should have two displays and the desktop size does not resize to the window size.
gcc is up to date with v4.8. But reinserting the virtualGuestAdditions and recompiling does not work.

Could you please specify where to look for the right version and how to compile.

**** EDIT ****
gcc is version 4.8.5 (Ubuntu 4.8.5-2ubuntu1~14.04.1)

Best regards and thank you
RND
Juan A.

Post by Juan A. »

RND-E wrote: Could you please specify where to look for the right version and how to compile.
Searching for my error code I came to this:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=86819#p415218

You may also find helpful this link:
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-install- ... ompile-C++

Follow the instruction to install a previous gcc versions (4.8.4 worked for me flawlessly)

Here you can find how to install and keep several gcc versions in case you need it:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/26498/c ... -g-version

Now, to recompile the GS, just insert the virtual unit again as usual.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.