Mint 18.3 - software rendering mode

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sternfan

Mint 18.3 - software rendering mode

Post by sternfan »

Hi all,
trying to install mint 18.3 cinnamon on the latest version of VB. I do the install, add the guest additions and run updates on mint. When it starts I get a message about the display running in software rendering mode and that it might slow down the computer.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,
Rob
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mint 18.3 - software rendering mode

Post by socratis »

sternfan wrote:add the guest additions
Something didn't go right there, or you haven't enabled 3D acceleration in the settings.

Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sternfan

Post by sternfan »

Sorry - but I redid the install with a new download of the ISO. Pretty much got the same result with 3d enabled at install time. I tried yet another install - with doing mint updates first, then applying the guest additions and now it won't even boot.

host = win10
vbox = 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.2)

Has anyone made mint 18.3 cinnamon work? Any version of Mint?

Thanks,
Rob
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

sternfan wrote:I redid the install with a new download of the ISO.
A new download of what ISO? The GAs ISO doesn't normaly need to be downloaded, it is bundled with the core VirtualBox install.

Before this conversation can continue we will need that log that Socratis asked for.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually, with the 5.2.6 release, the GAs need to be downloaded separately, because of the issue with the Linux guests when 3D acceleration is enabled. But that's a rarity, I've only seen it happen twice.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sternfan

Post by sternfan »

thanks for the replies.

mpack - the ISO of Mint18.3

socratis - thanks - are you saying that once mint is installed I download the GA from within the guest and install? Instead of using Devices, Install guest additions cd image... from the vbox gui?

Thanks,
Rob
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not necessarily from within the guest, you can download the GAs ISO on the host, and mount the ISO as you would any other CD. See the "Important" paragraph in the Downloads section. Or you can download the latest test builds, without the need to download the GAs ISO separately.

Also, when you're done with the GAs, and you still have a problem, we're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).