Shared filesystem permission fixed to 770

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bupthebroker

Shared filesystem permission fixed to 770

Post by bupthebroker »

Hi,
i am using VirtualBox Version 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.2). with matching Guest additions. The problem is that all the files and directories in my sf_Shared directory have permission 770. Chmod command does not work. I configured the shared folder from my Windows 7 host from "Shared folders" with Auto-mount and Full access.

Some have suggested that i should add myself to vboxsf group. There does not seem to be a group named like this in the shadow file. But when i try to add, the following is displayed:
bup@bup-VirtualBox /media/sf_Shared $ sudo adduser bup vboxsf
The user `bup' is already a member of `vboxsf'.

There is however a vboxadd group in the shadow file.

How to resolve the issue? Some build scripts of mine fail due to this issue.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared filesystem permission fixed to 770

Post by mpack »

It's a shared folder, not a disk drive. You can't set permissions on files in someone else's disk drive. There's no guarantee that the host drive even supports such a concept.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared filesystem permission fixed to 770

Post by socratis »

bupthebroker wrote:Chmod command does not work
Chmod does not work on a filesystem that doesn't understand permissions. And shared folders are such a filesystem.

VirtualBox's shared folders present a very simplified file system implementation, just enough to read/write files from/to the guest. Many applications can error when using shared folders, because they expect advanced features, like file locking or access controls, which don't exist for shared folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.