Reference Memory Could Not Be Written (#17526)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kpenrose

Reference Memory Could Not Be Written (#17526)

Post by kpenrose »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17526: Memory exception]
Running an Ubuntu guest on a Windows 10 host, with VB 5.2.6, GAs 5.2.7. Everything will run fine for a while, and then suddenly an Application Error dialog will appear that states "The instruction at 0x00007FF8CD00E6C referenced memory at 0x0000000000000040. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program."
This happens repeatedly, so using the virtual machine is impossible.
I have added this bug to the bug tracker at Oracle, but I don't expect that it will get any immediate attention. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Last edited by socratis on 5. Feb 2018, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Reference Memory Could Not Be Written

Post by socratis »

kpenrose wrote:I have added this bug to the bug tracker at Oracle
Reference please.

Any antivirus running? Anything 3rd party installed that might interfere with the system?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kpenrose

Re: Reference Memory Could Not Be Written

Post by kpenrose »

The ticket in the bug tracker is https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17526.

The Windows host is very stock, running windows defender security and outlook is about all I run. Perhaps a couple of explorer windows.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Reference Memory Could Not Be Written (#17526)

Post by socratis »

OK, thanks for that. Two things: 1) what if you disable 3D acceleration, 2) ZIP and attach a copy of the VBoxHardening.log before you do change that setting, and one after.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kpenrose

Post by kpenrose »

Okay - I'll probably have to do this in two different messages, since I'm not sure when I'll see the error again (but I know it will be soon).

Attached here is the hardening log prior to changing the 3D setting (but after an error was logged).
Attachments
Ubuntu-2018-02-01-08-09-38.zip
(32.82 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
kpenrose

Post by kpenrose »

Update:
Even though I am running the 5.2.27 GAs, which is supposed to have 3D acceleration fixes in place, I have not had this error occur when I run the guest system with 3D acceleration turned off.