GRUB countdown in VirtualBox

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vbzh

GRUB countdown in VirtualBox

Post by vbzh »

GRUB is a boot loader . When starting the computer , GRUB will show a sentence "The highlighted entry will be executed automatically in 5s" . Looks like this https://i.stack.imgur.com/66H99.png . VirtualBox maybe has such a bug that causes the sentence missing when it's counting down at 5s . But after counting down at 5s , the sentence appears normally .. Both my host OS and my guest OS are GNU/Linux. Only guest OS has the problem , my host OS Never has the problem .
Last edited by vbzh on 8. Apr 2018, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: GRUB countdown in VirtualBox

Post by socratis »

Are you "vbgaofei"? Did you also file ticket #17473? They look suspiciously similar... In any event, the answers are the same as the answers on the ticket:
VirtualBox doesn't have a clue that you have GRUB installed (or anything else for that matter). What GRUB does or doesn't do, that's a GRUB issue.
If you can, please provide clear steps to reproduce the problem and show indeed that it's a VirtualBox problem, otherwise I believe that the ticket could be "Invalid".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vbzh

Post by vbzh »

However I don't know how to reproduce the problem . Do you mean I must read the source code of GRUB ? It's an open-source software , but I'm not a programmer
Last edited by socratis on 31. Jan 2018, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

If, and it is a mighty big if, this is a VirtualBox issue then we need to have some idea as to how to reproduce it. Start with the basics... host Linux distribution and kernel version, same for the guest OS and VirtualBox version.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
vbzh

Post by vbzh »

Host distribution is ArchLinux or Paranola . The first distribution is popular, but Parabola is unpopular . https://parabola.nu . Kernel version is about Linux 4.12 or 4.13 , VirtualBox version is shown in the bug ticket .
Last edited by socratis on 1. Feb 2018, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

When Andy talked about "how to reproduce it, start with the basics", he didn't only mean the guest OS. He meant the actual steps to actually reproduce the problem. Something like:
  • Download the Arch Linux ISO version ... from ... The ##-bit one, named ...
  • Boot into ...
  • Do ... then ...
  • Perform ...
  • Then you'll see the problem ...
PS: "VirtualBox version is shown in the bug ticket" is much longer, and more difficult than "5.1.26". And we won't have to go hunting around in the bug tracker... Think about it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vbzh

Post by vbzh »

There must be ArchLinux or Parabola 64-bit ,I didn’t use any 32-bit OSes with modern computers . I’m not sure and didn’t monitor the details of how to see the problem, I only remember that I created snapshots and sometimes instantly shutdown the VMs without to type shutdown command in the Guest OS . This means to click the close button on the window . Yes ,I installed GUI on my Host OS so VirtualBox can show windows .
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

These are not instructions to reproduce the problem, they are fragments of your memory. And a problem that cannot be reproduced, it is NOT a problem that can be fixed.
vbzh

Post by vbzh »

andyp73 wrote:If, and it is a mighty big if, this is a VirtualBox issue then we need to have some idea as to how to reproduce it. Start with the basics... host Linux distribution and kernel version, same for the guest OS and VirtualBox version.

-Andy.
You can download and install a screen recorder ,and use screen recorder to record VirtualBox usages . I literally saw such GRUB countdown problem , because screen recorder can record everything on the screen .
vbzh

Post by vbzh »

VirtualBox offers three modes to start VMs ,they’re normal start,detachable start and headless start .Guest OS loses its user interface so briefly every second when GRUB’s counting down. Only in detachable mode, not in normal mode. Perhaps ,this problem relates to the topic .