[Solved] OL7 guest on Windows7 host won't boot after guest additions installation

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
nlcarter

[Solved] OL7 guest on Windows7 host won't boot after guest additions installation

Post by nlcarter »

Greetings:

I recently upgraded my VB from 5.1.30 to 5.2.6. After installing the new Guest Additions on an existing OL7.4 VM, it will no longer boot, it stops on a black screen with a bunch of 'Stopped' messages (one.png, attached).

So, I blew all of that VM away and created a new one. Installed OL7.4, ran yum update, rebooted, installed Guest Additions, BAM! Same exact issue!

Suggestions, please?!

Thanks!
Attachments
one.png
one.png (52.56 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Last edited by socratis on 26. Jan 2018, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OL7 guest on Windows7 host won't boot after guest additions installation

Post by socratis »

nlcarter wrote:Suggestions, please?!
The first would be to change your search engine/tactics. There are a gazillion results since 5.2.6 came out... ;)

The second (and the non-joking one), would be to go to the Downloads page and look at the "Important" paragraph, then download the updated GAs (VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.7-120326.iso).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks!!
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

Thanks, socratis! Worked like a charm!

One thing I'll add, though. Since the 'Important' paragraph stated that it had to do with 3D acceleration, I disabled that in the settings so it could actually boot. Once the updated Guest Additions were installed, shut down the VM, turn 3D acceleration back on, boot the VM, and voila!

Thanks, again!!

Neil
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.