Guest Arch Linux crashes to Guru Meditation

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
b0nk

Guest Arch Linux crashes to Guru Meditation

Post by b0nk »

Hello.

After updating from 5.2.2 to 5.2.6 I can't get passed the syslinux boot selection screen.
When I select to boot the Arch System I see this

Code: Select all

Loading ../vmlinuz-linux... ok                                                  
Loading ../intel-ucode.img...ok                                                 
Loading ../initramfs-linux.img...ok                                             
Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok  
Then it crashes.

Uploaded the log so I can get some help here.

Thank you.
Attachments
Arch-2018-01-21-15-18-39.zip
(52.22 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Arch Linux crashes to Guru Meditation

Post by socratis »

00:00:06.011021 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
You'll need to address this, most probably because something else is grabbing VT-x exclusively. Chances are it's Hyper-V, or something that uses Hyper-V, like antivirus, debuggers, other virtualizers, etc. The lack of VT-x is what leads your VM to a guru meditation:
00:00:20.197246 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2403 (VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
b0nk

Post by b0nk »

Ah VT-x. My CPU does not support that feature.

I suppose the kernel in the guest is doing something to request virtualbox some VT-x features?

Maybe if I try to downgrade to a previous virtualbox...

What do you think I should do?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't know what you should do, but if you say that 5.2.2 was working for you, you have the answer. Plus, I'd stay away from newer OSes and VirtualBox versions, as they they tend to ask for more and more hardware features to be present.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

b0nk wrote:Ah VT-x. My CPU does not support that feature.
In that case I'd suggest turning off that feature in the VM settings. I believe that VirtualBox now treats it as an error to be asked to enable features which the host doesn't support.

Unfortunately, you may find that the feature is grayed out in the VM settings precisely because your host doesn't support it. For that reason you may have to disable it using a VBoxManage command line on the host :-

Code: Select all

VBoxManage <vm name or UUID> modifyvm --hwvirtex off