Guest Additions 5.2.6 does not work with 3D acceleration enabled

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Mike Kelly

Re: Guest Additions 5.2.6 does not work with 3D acceleration enabled

Post by Mike Kelly »

Hello,

Following this thread's earlier postings, I seem to have worked through my main issue of not being able to log into my Trisquel Linux guest with 3D acceleration enabled. At this point, I am able to log in and use my desktop in the guest. Having downloaded the 5.2.7 GA, I am also using 3D acceleration again. However, I am getting an odd message box: "VBox Client: failed to execute the xrandr utility" [OK] Clicking the 'OK' button dismisses the message, and I cannot see any ill effects yet, but it recurs even after a reboot of the guest system and the Windows 10 host system.

Although I was happy with the earlier version and all was stable, I decided to upgrade because this particular setup is not critical, and I can always downgrade and restore data files and such from a backup.
crash0veride007

Post by crash0veride007 »

The issue is resolved with the new GA's on Fedora 27 in that the X-Server/Wayland now starts. However running a Fedora 27 guest + latest updates/kernel on top of a Windows 10 host with a Titan X Pascal Nvidia card the 3D-acceleration is still not functioning correctly.
Running anything 3D related in the guest results extremely slow performance. A quick dirty test of glxgears yields frame rates in the low 50's.
Additionally observing the GPU activity whilst running 3D related tests in the guest shows very little to no GPU activity versus prior versions where it was vastly different in terms of GPU utilization.

Updated ticket #17463 with the latter info as well.
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jan 2018, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
Queky

Post by Queky »

where can i find GA 5.2.7?

edit: solved, thanks!