Guest Additions 5.2.6 does not work with 3D acceleration enabled

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
billznn

Guest Additions 5.2.6 does not work with 3D acceleration enabled

Post by billznn »

I have 2 Linux VMs, one is a Mint, the other a Fedora 25.
They both worked as a charm as of yesterday, with VirtualBox version 5.2.4 and respective extension pack and guest addition.

Today I updated to 5.2.6 and after I installed the updated Guest Addition to 5.2.6, both VMs stopped working.
 Edit:  Is this a known bug? If so, where is it reported? If not so, where I report it? (not super easy to find on VirtualBox website...)
yes, there's a bug already open about this #17463: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17463

Am I the only one with this issue?

I then started both VMs without 3D acceleration enabled, I installed back the previous guest additions (5.2.4), and now it works perfectly as before, with the 3D acceleration.

It would be so great if VirtualBox stopped messing up with the 3D acceleration... it's quite unacceptable now... it happened also in the passage from VirtualBox 5.1 to 5.2. It's annoying when a newer version screws up like this. It makes the software (and the team behind it) so completely unreliable. 
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Additions 5.2.6 does not work with 3D acceleration enabled

Post by socratis »

billznn wrote:It would be so great if VirtualBox stopped messing up with the 3D acceleration... it's quite unacceptable now
I don't recall anyone forcing you to upgrade at gun point, do I have it wrong? Updates/upgrades are inherently dangerous operations. If your system works, keep it as is. If your upgrade breaks it? Downgrade. You don't have to be so pejorative about it...
billznn wrote:It makes the software (and the team behind it) so completely unreliable.
I'm sure that if you talk to your Oracle representative, he'll be able to push them harder to deliver a product that's according to your satisfaction. Be sure to mention your contract number, it's sort of a requirement.

As for your suggestions, I sincerely hope that the developers give them the proper attention that they deserve... I know, I would...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChrisMW

Post by ChrisMW »

I had a couple of VB guests, Debian 10, Manjaro, PCLinuxOS, all 64bit guests, all would not boot after installing the 5.2.6 additions. Removing the 3D setting solved the problem. A colleague had exactly the same problem, and the fixed worked for him as well. Thanks for workaround. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
kleov

Post by kleov »

Hello,
same here actually. I use ubuntu in my work and after the update I would not login unless disable 3D acceleration.
But this means very slow response. So, actually thank you as well for the workaround, I was actually convinced that
the virtualbox version had the fault, and before reverting I checked your post. And yep, it was annoying, never again
update the machine one hour before a meeting :lol:
Smartpatrol

Post by Smartpatrol »

For anyone else that is having this issue it seems (as others have posted) that by reinstalling 5.2.4 Guest editions from the iso downloaded from their site.

I will hold off on 5.2.6 Guest Additions until they issue a fix.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The fix is out. Look at the "Important" part about the GAs in the download page: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

Thank you Socratis,

5.2.7 fixed the error in Lubuntu of not being able to open an Lxterminal window. For those googling: the error under the hood is "OpenGL Warning: Failed to connect to host. Make sure 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM." Even though 3D Acceleration was turned on.

Fyi there is still one "OpenGL Warning: vboxCall failed with Vbox status code VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW" when I run either:

glxinfo > /dev/null

or

glxgears > /dev/null

Otherwise everything works great. I'm just mentioning it because the error sounds kinda scary.
blacksmithtb
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by blacksmithtb »

The 5.2.7 iso did fix my problem as well. I agree that upgrading is dangerous, and given that Virtualbox is free, there's a limit to how much we can complain. At the same time, I wouldn't expect breaking changes (at least ones which effect many users) to ship, generally... Though I imagine testing is eyewateringly complex, given the huge range of combinations of hosts and guests.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

blacksmithtb wrote:I wouldn't expect breaking changes (at least ones which effect many users) to ship, generally...
Generally, you're absolutely right. It was a last minute (literally) change that caused the whole boo-ha-ha. That's why it was so easy to identify the culprit and issue a fixed build in less than 15 hours. Yes, it's not the "official" release, but, it happens to the best of us...
Wayne in Phx

Post by Wayne in Phx »

Same issue when upgrading to 5.2.6. Windows 10 host and Ubuntu 16.04 guest.

5.2.7 GAs fixed the issue!

Thanks to the dev team for coming up with a fix so quickly!
Cetus

Post by Cetus »

Two things:

1)

I had the exact same issue with both Linux Mint 18.3 and Kubuntu 17.10.1 Guests in a Windows 10 Pro Host with VirtualBox 5.2.6.

Installed Guest Additions 5.2.6 in both which subsequently booted to a black screen. It was easy to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a command line but I'm not experienced enough
to do much from there. Tried to troubleshoot a little with info found on other forums but nothing worked. Still a black screen.

However, the two main things suggested regarding VirtualBox itself, lowering the video ram used (went all the way down to 8 MB in increments) and turning off 3D acceleration did NOT work,
which makes my problem slightly off topic but the fix, using the new Guest Additions 5.2.7 DID work, putting my problem back on topic :)

To anyone that sees this post without bothering to reading the fix above, which is stated clearly, download the new (fixed) Guest Additions, version 5.2.7, at the
VirtualBox Downloads page (where it says "Important:")

2)

It's not usually smart to argue with or contradict a Moderator but socratis, I have to respectfully disagree with what you said. I'm a Linux noob for sure although I've used many
different distributions over the years, mainly to see what's been fixed (no Wi-Fi, no video drivers, no sound, no USB, no (or broken yet again) Realtek network card drivers, samba won't work, etc.)
finally to throw my hands up yet again. Plus I've been a computer tech for going on 25 years, albeit 99.9% of that with the many versions of Windows.

I'm sure no one put a gun to the OP's head to "force" him to upgrade but to say that a person ought not upgrade unless there's a valid, pressing reason to do so is just not correct.
When an upgrade is offered by any OS or program, it's usually for a reason. The Guest Addition 5.2.7, for instance. Recently, the updates are for security reasons as holes are found.
A person would stay pretty busy if they researched each and every update offered to ensure that they indeed needed that update.

In fact, at the top of the main VirtualBox Downloads page the 4th line from the top says , quote, "If you're looking for the [older version of VirtualBox] packages, see the [that version of older
VirtualBox] builds. Consider upgrading.

I have every respect for the developers behind VirtualBox. However, your referring to a release of a modification that causes a catastrophic failure of perhaps hundreds of users systems as
a "whole boo-ha-ha" is disrespectful and belittling of users and their problems.

I personally do not use my Linux Guests for any kind of production but I imagine many do. To come to work this morning, fire up VirtualBox, and be greeted with a black screen probably caused much
rending of garments, gnashing of teeth, and using much bad language.

I'm sorry if I disagree with you but your tone was reminiscent of Stack Exchange. the hateful forums where every noob is afraid to tread.

Respectfully,
Me

Random_Consultant

Yep.

Post by Random_Consultant »

I can confirm that the 5.2.6 GA don't work with 3D acceleration enabled.

I can also confirm that updating to the 5.2.7 GA found from the main page allows 3D acceleration to work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cetus wrote:the two main things suggested regarding VirtualBox itself, lowering the video ram used (went all the way down to 8 MB in increments)
Where exactly was it suggested to lower the vRAM? To 8 MB nonetheless? That's way, way too low. That advice was not on the right track, that's for sure...
Cetus wrote:It's not usually smart to argue with or contradict a Moderator
Why not? On the contrary! A healthy conversation is the only way things get improved.
Cetus wrote:but socratis, I have to respectfully disagree with what you said
Oh, you were talking about me??? I withdraw my previous statement!!! ;)
Cetus wrote:but to say that a person ought not upgrade unless there's a valid, pressing reason to do so is just not correct.
No, of course not. But you got to realize the inherent danger that an upgrade might break something. And if that something is valuable, you'd better have a backup and a backup/restore tested plan.
Cetus wrote:In fact, at the top of the main VirtualBox Downloads page the 4th line from the top says... Consider upgrading.
That is for the older versions, not the minor fixes. The reason is pretty simple: they're really soon not going to be supported. And still, it doesn't yet force you to upgrade, at this point it's a suggestion.
Cetus wrote:However, your referring to a release of a modification that causes a catastrophic failure of perhaps hundreds of users systems as a "whole boo-ha-ha" is disrespectful and belittling of users and their problems.
The boo-ha-ha that I was referring to was not towards the users' problems, it was to the silly mistake that made the 5.2.6 release not optimal. I thought it was a milder term than a mini-disaster or a boo-boo. English is not my first language, so if the term boo-ha-ha has another meaning than the one I thought it did, I apologize.
Cetus wrote:I'm sorry if I disagree with you but your tone was reminiscent of Stack Exchange. the hateful forums where every noob is afraid to tread.
If you come out swinging left and right, I'm afraid that this is the response you're going to get. If you think that the VirtualBox developers are "messing with 3D" just to give you grief, you're mistaken big time. If you think that the situation is "unacceptable", complain to your support representative. You don't have to do it here, with such language and attitude. Simple. We're all users trying to help each other. I'm not trying to scare or yell at other users, on the contrary. But if you come yelling, screaming and swinging, keep in mind that I can yell, scream and swing as well...
Cetus

Post by Cetus »

"come out swinging left and right"
socratis, now that you're not so offended and angry as this morning, you have to admit that nowhere did I do this or yell, kick, or scream. Or even figuratively do so.

GAs 5.2.6 will cause a black screen on some guests
Looking back at what I wrote, I can see that where I did indeed err is where I was talking to you directly about something you said and not sticking strictly with this problem.So I apologize for that. I also deeply apologize for the comment about "boo-ha-ha" considering that a non-native English speaking person may have not meant anything at all by that.

silly mistake that made the 5.2.6 release not optimal.
But then you go on to say this.

I would say that they were way, way worse than not optimal. BUT, as I said in my original post, the problem it caused me, a black screen at boot on 2 separate GAs that turning off 3D acceleration
did NOT fix was worse than the (what seems like) more common problem that 3D had to be turned off.

However, your reaction to what I DID say pretty well proves my point. If you read back over what I said and what you said to that, you seem pretty angry and I can't see where a person could be angry
about that.

Do you remember back in the days when logs would show that there were many, many more "lurkers" than "posters" in chat rooms and on forums?
Perhaps only 5 out of every 100 people actually posted. Everybody else was scared they would say something stupid, be thought of as stupid, or not even know how to technically post a question, so they just read
and read (and more read) hoping somebody had asked the question about the same problem as theirs.

Now, it's not as bad as it used to be but on some certain forums, the moderator or older users have heard just one too many stupid question and can't stand it anymore so they just answer with either
impertinent answers or no answer at all, just an insult to the poster of the question.

Stack Exchange, which I keep mentioning because I (should not have said) that you remind me of, but I did and I apologize, is by far the worst for that. Here's a random snippet from a question I just saw where an obvious noob innocently asks "How do I open a terminal?"
It's an old question but it's indicative of the general attitude you get there.
Here are responses: First, as usual, the question is marked as duplicate, not one word as to the simple answer about how to open a terminal,
a very easy question to answer.
"How do I open a terminal?"
A person innocently asks.

"marked as duplicate by xxx♦, xxx, xxx♦, xxx♦, xxx Sep 4 '12 at 10:25
This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question."
The moderator says.

"Amazingly, I don't think this is a duplicate question. Wow – iii Sep 3 '12 at 23:16" and:
"Hm, I think closing that one was a mistake. "What is a terminal" and "How to open a terminal" are two separate questions. – xxx Sep 3 '12 at 23:21"
Some nice person tries to come to his aid but to no avail.

"Yes, but that is against the principals of Q&A. Questions should not be a FAQ. It does not follow that the questions "What is X" and "Where is X" should be consolidated. – xxx Sep 4 '12 at 0:54"
The moderator insists. Which is completely false, by the way. A series of questions and answers DO form a FAQ whether it's on a "FAQ" page or in a forum. He's saying here "I will not
answer this question because it's already answered in a FAQ somewhere and I will not repeat it." If someone asked a question like "How can I download the kernel and make my own distribution?" then, yes, perhaps they should be gently pointed elsewhere.
"You may want to post on meta about this. I think you're construing the appropriate scope of a question far more narrowly than is commonplace on Ask Ubuntu or any Stack Exchange site. (and perhaps certain VirtualBox forums - Cetus) But I'm just one person; you may be able to persuade the community at large otherwise."
Another person makes a statement diplomatically pointing out the moderator's bad attitude, which, in general, is the overall attitude at Stack Exchange. I personally never posts questions nor answers there. You are just as likely to get "attacked" for answering as for having the nerve to ask.

So he uses right at 62 words to NOT answer the question and explain why he's not going to, when a very few words would have answered.

As you can see here, the attitude of moderators and old users is first to tell the OP he has no business asking that question. The attitude is that you should read and search and read and search for days if
necessary to try to find the question already answered somewhere else before you dare to ask it.

I would venture to say there are 50 (or more) noobs to every 1 experienced Linux user. And let's not forget a very important thing, the experienced users were once noobs themselves.
"Today I updated to 5.2.6 and after I installed the updated Guest Addition to 5.2.6, both VMs stopped working."
And here? The OP said (in so many words)and then the statement to which you evidently took great offense:
"It would be so great if VirtualBox stopped messing up with the 3D acceleration... it's quite unacceptable now... it happened also in the passage from VirtualBox 5.1 to 5.2. It's annoying
when a newer version screws up like this. It makes the software (and the team behind it) so completely unreliable."
I agree with you that instead of saying the developers were "messing up the 3D acceleration" he could have said "making mistakes", "blunders", "breaking it" or anything else. I believe the developers would say about this problem "We made a mistake but quickly fixed it."
"It makes the software (and the team behind it) so completely unreliable."
But then the OP goes on to state that this, which I DO NOT agree with at all!
I'm sure he said that out of emotion, but still he slams the developers and that's what is unacceptable. After all, this is free software and everyone had better thank the developers with all their
hearts, minds, and bitcoins.
"I don't recall anyone forcing you to upgrade at gun point, do I have it wrong? Updates/upgrades are inherently dangerous operations. If your system works, keep it as is. If your upgrade breaks it? Downgrade.
You don't have to be so pejorative about it..."
But then this is where you also apparently let your anger rule your words
"I'm sure that if you talk to your Oracle representative, he'll be able to push them harder to deliver a product that's according to your satisfaction. Be sure to mention your contract number, it's sort of a
requirement."
and then sarcastically, because you KNOW the OP has no paid representative or he would be talking to that representative and not arriving here by Googl'ing his problem.
"We're all users trying to help each other."
So see, your heart is definitely in the right place because you said this, which is something which should rule us all,but unfortunately, I don't think you practice what you preach since, like I said, you can go back and read what the OP said and what I said and you'll have to agree that YOU were the one yelling, screaming, and swinging.

Please note that I, in no way whatsoever, mean to attack you personally. It's just that I have to disagree with what you said. Us not-very-experienced users could sure use a friend such an old-timer like you when we
have problems, that's all.

I spend a lot of time answering questions in forums. It's kind of my hobby in retirement, actually. I always, always try to remember what it was like when I was not the most experienced of users.
Like I said before, 99.9% of the time it's supporting Windows users but once in a while I actually see a Linux question to which I know the answer.

I certainly don't tell them "That's answered elsewhere. Your question has been deleted." (like our Stack Exchange friends) As my experience with Windows (and DOS) goes back over 25 years, own a computer repair shop near Birmingham, Alabama, and what I would call a HIGHLY qualified support person, I could easily go around all day telling users that they need to find answers for themselves and quit asking me.

But I don't. I patiently answer, trying to break the answer down to a level I believe will be easier to understand. The one and only thing that does indeed annoy me is when a person keeps coming back with the same question without trying the fix that I offered to start with. Sometimes that feels like "celebrity worship", in a way, if you understand what I mean by that. It's bizarre. They just want to get the attention of a REAL LIVE computer expert. It's what I call "self-inflicted ignorance" when a person asks and asks just to be talking and makes no effort to try to fix a problem. Note that this type of person, invariably, will tell anyone
who asks why their problem still persists (I can just picture a lady sitting at a desk here lol), they will say that YOU couldn't/wouldn't help them!

I'm sorry for my excessive post. I won't be doing it again.

Sincerely,
Cetus

learner123456

Post by learner123456 »

socratis wrote:The fix is out. Look at the "Important" part about the GAs in the download page: ..........
Did that , 3D works but the resolution seems to be strange , the LM (linux Mint) logo is not as as clear (looks faded) as it was in the rendering more and when the screen is expanded to full size then the logo goes missing , appears again when the window is brought to smaller size.

System :
Base OS : Windows 7 Professional with SP1 and all updates.
Oracle Box Ver 5.2.6 r120293(Qt5.6.2)
Virtual OS : Linus Mint 18.3 with the patch Guest Addition as suggested by you.
Guest Addition: VboxGuestAddition_5.2.7-120326.iso
Base Laptop : HP Elitebook 8560W 16GB ram , Virtual HD on External Disk connected to USB 3.0.

What could be the solution to make the resolution work well , kindly Guide.

Thanks !