Jessie 64bit guest fails to start on W2008r2 host only

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Dream-adm

Jessie 64bit guest fails to start on W2008r2 host only

Post by Dream-adm »

Hi all.
Got a custom .ova, it's based on 3.16.0-5-amd64 kernel and debian jessie. Boots and works perfectly without any tinkering on MacOSX 64b host, Vbox 5.2.6.
On 2008r2 host (same vbox version) - it throws 0x00000009 kernel panic and hangs.
VT-x enabled in BIOS (i7 with full support).
If i try to start other 64bit kernel in 2008 host (e.g. jessie amd64 netinstall iso) it boots and works perfectly.
I tried cloning from macosx, exporting to ova and importing on w2008, changing whole lot of machine options on 2008 to no avail - kernel panic persists exactly same way. Also nothing i do with that machine on MacOSx host will make it panic - solid boot every time.
Macosx host is I7 mid2012 hardware.
edit: also starts on Win8 64 i7 host same vbox version.
BAFFLED
Any help would be immensely helpful.

Thanks
Attachments
vbox-2008fail.log
(99.9 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
shot1vm2.png
shot1vm2.png (69.63 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
shot1vm1.jpg
shot1vm1.jpg (71.1 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Dream-adm

Re: Jessie 64bit guest fails to start on W2008r2 host only

Post by Dream-adm »

Ok, pure 3.16.0-5 amd64 kernel from clean jessie install also panics the same way.
Testing 3.16.0-4. WORKS! Boots etc.

So, clear bug. Happy to provide additional details.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Dream-adm wrote:So, clear bug.
Don't jump to conclusions too fast. It may be simply differences in your host's capabilities. Plus a bug is something that was "advertised" to work, and it doesn't work as advertised...;)

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run, for both your hosts:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dream-adm

Post by Dream-adm »

Vbox log is attached to the first msg ;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run, for both your hosts
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dream-adm

Post by Dream-adm »

Oops, will do shortly. Downgraded the kernel for the appliance to -4 and booted, working fine.

From power up to clean shutdown after fully booted, 3.16.0-5-amd64 kernel, macosx host.
Attachments
wnx-Gateway-64-osxhost-2018-01-17-02-45-58.log
(99.83 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First, before I forget, please ZIP your logs next time. It save a (virtual) tree or two...
You have different settings on your two VMs. For example, the one on the OSX is using an LSILogic SCSI controller, the other one doesn't, it uses an IDE. That's a good enough reason to crash...

I would suggest to *not* export and import the VMs, but to do a straight copy the whole VM folder, register the VM, just like in the FAQ "Moving a VM".

If you still insist on importing/exporting, get your settings straight. One thing that could help you is to compare the outputs of "VBoxManage showvminfo <1>" and "VBoxManage showvminfo <2>".
Dream-adm

Post by Dream-adm »

Umm, i am holding a lol here. I tried changing disk controllers to all possible settings.
I did a straight copy. I am not an unqualified noob, thanks.
No help here. Ok, no worries, it's a free product anyway. Useless.
Please delete the topic.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dream-adm wrote: tried changing disk controllers to all possible settings.
And then you're wondering why it fails? 1000 monkeys on 1000 typerwriters... Keep changing values at random. It may work one day.
Dream-adm wrote:I am not an unqualified noob, thanks.
Opinion vs. facts...
Dream-adm wrote:No help here. Ok, no worries, it's a free product anyway. Useless.
Seriously now? For real?
Dream-adm wrote:Please delete the topic.
On the contrary, I'm going to keep it locked for eternity, just so that I remember how some people value other's contributions.