[Ubuntu in Windows10] A critical error has occured while running the virutal machine

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Pol77241q

Re: [Ubuntu in Windows10] A critical error has occured while running the virutal machine

Post by Pol77241q »

mpack wrote: Perhaps a host update now means that less RAM is available to the guest. Or perhaps your antivirus has been updated.
Well, if nothing can be done, then it's time to buy a new PC. :?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Ubuntu in Windows10] A critical error has occured while running the virutal machine

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:these older Intel CPUs lack is "extended page tables" (EPT) sipport aka nested paging
Aka the cause for the required fixes in the test builds. Fixes, that were required because of:
Pol77241q wrote:I updated Ubuntu 16.04 with "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade"...
...I assume that in this update Ubuntu was a fix for Meltdown.
So, with that in mind:
Pol77241q wrote:You want to say that after installing VirtualBox 5.1.31 r 120178 - I can no longer use the VM as before?
Yes. You need to either go back 20 years and tell Intel to *not* design their CPUs the way they did, or go back 1 week and never update your Ubuntu again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I see this as a Windows issue and not a Linux issue so I will leave you in Dons & socratis competent hands since I don't really do Windows.
Pol77241q

Post by Pol77241q »

socratis wrote:Yes. You need to either go back 20 years and tell Intel to *not* design their CPUs the way they did, or go back 1 week and never update your Ubuntu again.
Thank you very much))) Very much you explained intelligibly)))

Computer with which processor to take better(for VirtualBox)? AMD or Intel??? While leaning towards AMD!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

AMD reputedly has problems with Spectre, which is allegedly harder to fix. Personally I think it's all a storm in a teacup. They have these every couple of years, i.e. find a theoretical (never an actual) problem, give it a cool name, and talk about it a lot in the media. This wouldn't influence my buying decisions in any way.
Pol77241q

Post by Pol77241q »

Dear Sirs, connoisseurs!
Today I started WinXP in VM! WinXP have not any updates! And cacophony is reproduced!!!
Why?(The computer is still old - core2duo)
Attachments
Logs.rar
logs from VM with Windows XP
(68.54 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Pol77241q wrote:I started WinXP in VM!
This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, right? Please open a new thread, with an appropriate title...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pol77241q

Post by Pol77241q »

socratis wrote:This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, right?
You are right, but not completely. ) Please consider everything as a whole. I upgraded the version of VirtualBox to 5.1.31 and the problems with video and sound started! Above I wrote about the problems in Ubuntu. And I was told in this thread that the Ubuntu update was to blame, and not VirtualBox.

Well, I'll create a separate thread ...