Linux Mint 18.3 runs really slow

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Pastor

Linux Mint 18.3 runs really slow

Post by Pastor »

Info:

VirtualBox :5.2.4 r119785 (Qt5.6.2)
Guesinsalled in linux :5.2.4
Host OS : Windows 8.1
Log file attached.

Problem:

First of All : since this is my first post, hello eveyone :). I admint that I'm virtualbox newbe and I require Your assistance :) .

Problem is that mint 18.3 running in virtualbox is extremly slow (by "slow" I mean gui that works slow, freezes etc). I belive that adding 8GB ram (out of 16GB) and 2 cores (out of 8 ) will be more than enough. I've also provide my VM with max grafic card memory possible and enable 3D acceleration. This cause no effect.
From what I check in BIOS, my computer has enabled virtualization.

At the beginning after instalation, there was info about rendering problem - but installing guest addition solved this. However, I feel that whole system is running slower.

Any help will be appreciated :)
Attachments
Mint-2018-01-10-09-42-57.zip
(31.84 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 runs really slow

Post by socratis »

00:00:03.711177 AIOMgr: Endpoint for file 'H:\VirtualBox VMs\Mint\Mint.vdi' (flags 000c0723) created successfully
00:00:03.734836 VD: Opening the disk took 25487608 ns
What's drive "H:\"? Is it an external USB or similar? It took almost 25.5" to open the VDI. Just for comparison, it takes mine 0.16" to do the same. Granted it's an SSD, but even for a HD it wouldn't take more than 0.25" for that operation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pastor

Post by Pastor »

This in an ordinary, internal HDD, one of my partition.

I've check disk health and it's "excelent", no smart errors.

Just as expriment I've installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS and this one is runnig correctly, no "slows"
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the 16.04 VM, Show in Explorer. ZIP that ".vbox" file.
Right-click on the 18.3 VM, Show in Explorer. ZIP that ".vbox" file.
Attach both files.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pastor

Post by Pastor »

Ok, both files added ("Ubunciak" = Ubuntu).
Attachments
Ubunciak.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Mint.zip
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No differences on the surface, only the fact that you've assigned two monitors in your Mint recipe. There maybe a problem in the Mint guest, something that is not due to VirtualBox?