Drang n DRop and clipboard not working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
smokinjo

Drang n DRop and clipboard not working

Post by smokinjo »

VBox - 5.2.4
GA installed
Host: ubuntu 16.04
guest: Linux Mint 18.3

Log up loaded

I have tried a few combination of the clip board and drag/drop settings.

To no avail.

What might be missing from my set up?>

Thanks

Joseph
Attachments
VBlog.zip
(26.51 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Drang n DRop and clipboard not working

Post by socratis »

Your log seems fine. A couple of things to remember though:
  • Copy/paste works only for simple text (mostly). Think gedit, terminal, etc...
  • DnD in a Linux guest (I've found) drops "things" in the '/tmp' directory. There should be a 'VirtualBox something, something' in there, where your files will be, please check.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
smokinjo

Post by smokinjo »

Thanks for the reply.

Copy Past, simple enough.

For DnD, I tried to move a folder with a short script file inside. It was 3 lines long. I am going form host to guest.

I will look for the /tmp folder.

But, when you say it drops them in the /tmp, what do you mean? I need to grab the files and drop them in the /tmp, and look for the on the host in th esam e/tmp folder?

Thanks

Joseph
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What I mean is that you may drop the folders/files in the guest's desktop, but they will end up in the guest's '/tmp' directory.

Also, try DnD with simpler cases; 1) a single file, 2) multiple files, 3) an empty folder, 4) a folder with a file, 5) a folder with multiple files, 6) multiple folders with multiple files. See what works or not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
smokinjo

Post by smokinjo »

Hello,

It turned out that all my DnD were working. They all ended up in the /tmp folder.

This question is NOT part fo VBox, but since it is a question stemming form its use, here it is:

I am using Linux Mint.,

Instead of having to find this file each time, how do I make a "shortcut" that I can put on the desktop?

I"d tried but no luck.

Thanks for help, if you can.

Joseph
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Since the location of the dropped files changes every time, I would suggest that you network your VM and your host, and forget about the whole DnD thing. Then you'd simply have your host as a network share in your guest. Or vice versa...