[Solved] VIrtual Box - Linux Mint - does not like 3D accelaration

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
smokinjo

[Solved] VIrtual Box - Linux Mint - does not like 3D accelaration

Post by smokinjo »

Hello,

I have been experimenting with Virtual Box recently, and for some reason I decided to install Linux MInt on it.
I experimented a bit and I am able to activate a variety of features like cop paste, drag and drop, extra RAM and video RAM.
According to various website, when working with LInux MINT, you need to activate a GuestAddition Session addition, and also turn on 3D acceleration.
I can activate everything except the 3D accelerating and the system boots fine, while getting the hardware acceleration not available error.

But, as soon as I turn on the 3D acceleration, Right after I enter my password, it turns in to a black screen. It does not respond after that.
Any ideas as to why it bugs?
Thanks

Joseph
Last edited by socratis on 9. Jan 2018, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VIrtual Box - Linux Mint - does not like 3D accelaration

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
smokinjo

Post by smokinjo »

Sorry about the newbie forgetfulness.

Here is the info needed.
Virtual Box:
Version 5.2.2 r119230 (Qt5.6.1)

Running on Ubutu 16.04 (up to date as of today)

Using LInux Mint 18.3 in the VM.

Log file is attached as zip file.

Thanks
Attachments
virtualboxlog.zip
(19.77 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

smokinjo wrote:you need to activate a GuestAddition Session addition, and also turn on 3D acceleration.
From the log it seems that you've done neither of those things. What you did is to insert the GAs CD, you didn't actually install the GAs.

BTW, the 5.2.0 and .2 had issues with the GAs on some Linux guests. I would suggest to try the latest release version (5.2.4 as of this writing), or even better, try the test builds.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
smokinjo

Post by smokinjo »

Thanks!
I read the part about install GS, but no further:(

I got it working.

Thanks

Joseph
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].