I/O does not work after installing guest packages on Linux VM

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
xylus

I/O does not work after installing guest packages on Linux VM

Post by xylus »

Hi all,

I'm running Ubuntu Xenial on VirtualBox via my Windows 10 machine. I ran in to an issue where my VM stopped being able to resize the screen for whatever reason and I found this: (askubuntu link)

I followed the instructions and did the following in my VM terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11
After installing this I restarted the VM and the screen could now be resized however I am facing a bigger issue now - I can no longer use my mouse or my keyboard within the VM.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out with finding the issue.

Edit: It seems that no USB devices are attached to the VM. I have tried attaching my keyboard and can see the following in the logs:
00:00:30.512007 VUSB: Attached '0000000018b338a0[proxy 2516:003c]' to port 2 on RootHub#0 (FullSpeed)

When this is done my keyboard stops working on my Windows machine too so I have to unplug it from the VM for it to re-connect again and work.
Attachments
Ubuntu-2018-01-06-13-30-23.log
Logs
(127.73 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: I/O does not work after installing guest packages on Linux VM

Post by mpack »

Those instructions you found are for the Ubuntu VirtualBox fork. Not good. You should only use genuine VirtualBox GAs in a VirtualBox VM.
xylus

Post by xylus »

mpack wrote:Those instructions you found are for the Ubuntu VirtualBox fork. Not good. You should only use genuine VirtualBox GAs in a VirtualBox VM.
Is there anything I can do to undo it?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This is not a discussion that belongs in "Windows Hosts". Moving the topic to "Linux Guests".

I am not a Linux expert, so I can't advise on how to uninstall software there.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Run the same command but replace install with remove. Standard Linux command structure.

As for the keyboard and mouse, make sure that you do not have a filter enabled in the USB settings. These are shared resources and if you make a filter it will cause issues.
xylus

Post by xylus »

I would do that but I have no way of navigating the Linux VM without a mouse or keyboard. There are no filters in the USB settings.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jan 2018, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
xylus

Post by xylus »

It is already attached in the original post? Or do you mean something else?
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jan 2018, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I was hoping for a new log but never mind. First thing to try is to disable the 3D acceleration in the guest settings -> display and see if you can get it to boot and have keyboard ability. If so then use the host+F1 key combo to drop to a tty window. Then run the statement I suggested above. If that works then install the right guest additions by clicking on the device tab -> insert guest additions and run the install script.
xylus

Post by xylus »

They keyboard does not work. I have deactivated 3D acceleration when attempting this.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jan 2018, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Can you tell me what else you did besides installing the repo version of the guest additions? While it might ( and I mean it is very rare ) cause the mouse failure it would not have cause the keyboard failure.
xylus

Post by xylus »

Pretty certain I did not do anything else. I was experiencing an issue with resizing the window and came on to the same question which as a solution gave the commands which I ran. The only additional thing I did was install some missing dependencies as I was not able to install the Ubuntu GAs before I also installed whatever it depended on. I can't recall what the dependencies were named exactly.

The keyboard/mouse were working fine after installing the GAs, it only stopped after I had restarted the machine (which I assume activated the GAs).
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Well there is something wrong with the guest and unless you have Linux experience it is going to be really difficult to fix since I can not actually touch the machine. It may be faster to start over. If you are familiar with Linux then you could boot to recovery mode and try to fix it that way ( thing dpkg-reconfigure )
xylus

Post by xylus »

Thanks. I booted in to recovery and uninstalled all the virtualbox packages however it still did not work. I managed to get it to work after re-installing i/o packages. (not before battling as to why networking did not work. I had to run

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf > /dev/null
for it to work).

To re-install the io packages I ran:

apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-input-all
A shame, because I've already set up a new linux VM with all the required stuff :(