Direct cable NIC to NIC

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
hosselausso

Direct cable NIC to NIC

Post by hosselausso »

Is there a way to emulate a direct crossover cable connection from one NIC of a VM to another NIC of a second VM?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Direct cable NIC to NIC

Post by Perryg »

Select the internal network adapter for both machines and make sure they both use the same "name" adapter.
hosselausso

Post by hosselausso »

Isn't that like connecting both interfaces to a internal network with a bridge/switch?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

With a switch yes. What's the difference? A "crossover cable" is logically just a switch, except it can only have two connections. The things that make a cable different from a switch are not relevant to something not made of physical wires.

Ps. If I'm not mistaken, ethernet cables are balanced pair transmission lines, so you don't ever cross them over.
hosselausso

Post by hosselausso »

That makes sense. Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Ps. If I'm not mistaken, ethernet cables are balanced pair transmission lines, so you don't ever cross them over.
You used to have to, otherwise they wouldn't work. The NICs couldn't figure out the pairing. We used to have specially labelled, handmade cables that were used for PC-to-PC/instrument connections. The "normal" ones wouldn't work. I've made several of them...

If I'm not mistaken the first computer that I encountered that could figure the pairing was my first MacBook, way too many years ago...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I've never needed to study the Ethernet cabling standards, but it certainly has all the hallmarks of a balanced pair, i.e. only two wires for a start (not two wires plus ground), and line terminators, and the distance they can go. Perhaps there's some reason why you'd want to distinguish between the nominal + and the nominal -, for idle/carrier detection perhaps.
 Edit:  Or perhaps there are pullups/pulldowns that need to observe the correct polarity. 
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I was about to reply "I vaguely remember something about orange and green" (not the red/blue that you see on the movies), when I decided to search for a reference. And lo and behold, my memory is still functioning ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_ ... le_pinouts
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

...and if you look a few lines up in your Wikipedia link you will see that crossover cabling is no longer relevant with gigabit Ethernet / 1000Base-T because of Auto MDI-X ;)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Weird. Am I totally imagining having ever seen Ethernet carried over coax? In which case it couldn't possibly have more than two cores, and maybe a shield. I'm probably remembering something ancient.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Am I totally imagining having ever seen Ethernet carried over coax?
Not at all! I remember those too from my student years, 8086/80286 era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_coax
mpack wrote:I'm probably remembering something ancient.
That would be correct; 80's. Look at the history section in the link above... ;)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Ah the good old days. I have strung miles of coax and still have the scars on my fingers from putting the ends on. Neat concept that is still in use today only in a larger concept ( think cable companies ). In the old days 10Mb was the best you could get and was limited in the amount of machines and distance, but for small offices it worked flawlessly. There is still one protocol that is older though.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Perryg wrote:In the old days 10Mb was the best you could get
You're one lucky man. I was getting errors at 2400 bps! :D (remember those?)
Perryg wrote:There is still one protocol that is older though.
ARCnet maybe? Other than that is snail mail and of course... pigeons!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yeah I do remember and sold/installed my share of modems, but the first network I built used rs232 and you were lucky if you could sustain anywhere near 2400bps but it did allow for connectivity and better than a floppy for getting data between various machines. Don't even get me started with tty machines. I totally hated them.