DragnDrop 5.2.2 not working (installed guest os) Linux mint 18.2 Sonya

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DragnDrop

DragnDrop 5.2.2 not working (installed guest os) Linux mint 18.2 Sonya

Post by DragnDrop »

Hello dear Virtualbox experts,
In the past i used Virtualbox successfully and DragnDrop worked flawless, lately after like a few months and a new os (Linux mint 18.2 sonya) the DragnDrop function doesnt work anymore.

Host Os: 18.2 sonya Linux mint
Guest Os: 18.2 sonya Linux mint

Like in the past i activated bidrectional function in the device settings and general settings, but nothing worked (reinstalled virtualbox like a few times but nothing worked so far, also i literally googled hours, after whole google turned puprle :cry: i gave up, so now im here)

When i try to install the guest addition iso it tells me:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.2 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
This system appears to have a version of the VirtualBox Guest Additions
already installed.  If it is part of the operating system and kept up-to-date,
there is most likely no need to replace it.  If it is not up-to-date, you
should get a notification when you start the system.  If you wish to replace
it with this version, please do not continue with this installation now, but
instead remove the current version first, following the instructions for the
operating system.

If your system simply has the remains of a version of the Additions you could
not remove you should probably continue now, and these will be removed during
installation.

Do you wish to continue? [yes or no
so i guess it is fully installed and is on the latest version.

Logfile:

pastebindotcom/V7dd0x2Z

I appreciate every help ! Thank you in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: DragnDrop 5.2.2 not working (installed guest os) Linux mint 18.2 Sonya

Post by socratis »

DragnDrop wrote:so i guess it is fully installed and is on the latest version.
Wrong assumption:
00:00:10.737582 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.6 r110634 '5.1.6_Ubuntu'
Not only you have an older version installed, they're from the forked version of Ubuntu. Uninstall/delete/purge them and then install the official ones that come bundled with your VirtualBox installation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

Great sharp insight, is there a specific command to deinstall only those guest additions 5.1.6 ? Or how does i remove them correctly ? without removing virtualbox completely.

Very Thankful !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DragnDrop wrote:without removing virtualbox completely.
We're talking about the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest, not the main VirtualBox program (or your VMs) on your host.

I usually use "synaptic" but you can do it with "apt-get". Search the Ubuntu documentation, I don't have it handy at the moment...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

If you have a version of the Guest Additions installed on your virtual machine and wish to remove it without installing new ones, you can do so by inserting the Guest Additions CD image into the virtual CD-ROM drive as described above and running the installer for the current Guest Additions with the "uninstall" parameter from the path that the CD image is mounted on in the guest:

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall

While this will normally work without issues, you may need to do some manual cleanup of the guest (particularly of the XFree86Config or xorg.conf file) in some cases, particularly if the Additions version installed or the guest operating system were very old, or if you made your own changes to the Guest Additions setup after you installed them.

Starting with version 3.1.0, you can uninstall the Additions by invoking

/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.2/uninstall.sh

Please replace /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.2 with the correct Guest Additions installation directory.
i followed this instructions successfully, it seems now deinstalled, do i need to remove those xorg.conf file too ? this seems a bit complicated :| (hopefully i dont need to remove them)

what should i do now, restart the whole thing ? Cause i tried this before and directly installed it again but then everything screwed up (couldnt even mount the cd anymore, so i needed to reinstall the guest os) now im here again, hopefully you can help me out of this little debacle :oops:

edit: i delete them and then i downloaded the 5.2.2 guest addition iso and inserted it + installed it successfully (then it says i have to restart the guest os, but when i restart everything is corrupted and not working properly anymore :(

ohh man new log:

pastebindotcom/yi27hjKz
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry to do this, I should have already told you from your first post... Don't post the logs in a 3rd party site, not too many people will go there. Instead ZIP the log and attach it here, locally. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Oh, and please try to disable 3D acceleration and see if that fixes it (with the VM completely shutdown of course).

And finally, you didn't have to download the Guest Additions, they come bundled with your VirtualBox installation. You just go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert Guest Additions CD Image...".
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

thanks i will try, sadly posting attachment doesnt work for me as a new user.

ps: 3d acceleration was always disabled (the gui said so and i never activated it)
Last edited by DragnDrop on 16. Dec 2017, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Of course it does. Try it once again please...
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

okay current status:
deinstalled and removed everything from virtualbox 5.2.2

installed virtualbox again via the sudo apt-get install virtualbox command

now installed linux mint again in the guest os.. checked the log file what guest addition is installed.

Seems to be

Code: Select all

00:00:20.022664 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.6 r110634 '5.1.6_Ubuntu'
what should i do now ?

edit: i proceeded with installing the guest iso that comes with my virtualbox installation, it was successfully installed. Sadly DragnDrop still doesnt work.
Last edited by socratis on 16. Dec 2017, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed raw attachment.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:Instead ZIP the log and attach it here, locally.
Please follow the instructions!!! It's in red, bold and underlined. What more do you want me to do?
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

im sorry :/
Attachments
linux-2017-12-16-17-42-30.log.zip
(14.13 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you for zipping the logs. It really helps save a (virtual) tree or two...
VirtualBox VM 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130 linux.amd64 (Nov  6 2017 17:41:59) release log
I'm afraid that you're running the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox. Again, this is not supported in these forums, you'd need to ask them for help.

The funny thing is that you were not running this version in your original post. Why did you decide to change now? Remember, if you use "apt-get" you get packages from the Ubuntu repositories. If you want to get the official VirtualBox, you can do it via "apt-get", as long as you follow the instructions for the Debian-based distros in the Linux Downloads page and add virtualbox.org as one of your repositories. Or you can download it directly.
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

okay lets do it again with the latest version officially from the virtualbox site 5.2.2 (you said that i could just install the guest iso from my downloaded virtualbox version which was 5.2.2 but when i installed the guest iso which was packaged into the 5.2.2 it was the
00:00:10.737582 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.6 r110634 '5.1.6_Ubuntu'
so i got annoyed of this since you said i dont need to download the iso from the official virtual box page

and i even tried to remove this old guest additions 5.1.6 and installed the latest 5.2.2 but then everything got screwed up lol

anyway okay i will remove everything again and reinstall with 5.2.2 now
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Let's get a couple of things clear:
  • VirtualBox does not come with any guest ISOs. You are to provide the OS.
  • Some OS manufacturers, like Mint, are packaging their own Guest Additions (GAs). Usually they end in "_Debian", "_Ubuntu", "_Fedora", etc., if you look in the logs and search for "Additions".
  • If you reinstall a guest Linux OS from scratch, in a sense you install their own GAs along with the OS. You have to delete those.
  • You do not have to download the GAs again, as a separate download. They come bundled with VirtualBox. Just go in the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image". That's all. But, you have to make sure that the custom/distro/forked GAs have been uninstalled first.
  • If you use "apt-get" to install VirtualBox you are downloading their own fork. Please read my previous message carefully, again...
  • All of the above are included in the searchable PDF version of the User Manual that comes with your installation.
DragnDrop

Post by DragnDrop »

Current Status:
Everything reinstalled with latest virtualbox build for my os 5.2.2
log below as fresh installed virtualbox and linux mint as guest os
will provide second log after this
If you reinstall a guest Linux OS from scratch, in a sense you install their own GAs along with the OS. You have to delete those.
ran this command in the guest os terminal and seems it uninstalled everything pre installed now

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*

so now i just need to add the guest additions from the virtualbox device button install them right ?
Attachments
linux mint-2017-12-16-20-07-59.log.zip
(18.84 KiB) Downloaded 105 times