How do I permanently stop mouse integration

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: How do I permanently stop mouse integration

Post by Perryg »

I have been completely civil with the hopes of explaining what is happening. I do work on this code a lot and build custom versions all the time. I can tell you that in its current state it will take more than a simple text file to accomplish this task. Please look at the source code yourself since you are a programmer and tell me how this what you want would be as simple as a additional text file. VirtualBox is not a simple program and is multi-platform which adds a certain complexity that most do not understand. Also using various rings to hop through for level adjustments is not easy either.
jeff.sadowski
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by jeff.sadowski »

This is very aggravating with my android machine.

Yes in previous versions you could turn it off and answer never ask again to a dialog box. I think in version 4.0
And then it saved the state permanently.

I tried creating a new vm and ran into this issue of not being able to save the "disabled mouse integration"
I too would like to know of an answer to this.

My machines I created in 4 still work properly with the upgrade but I can't create anything new with the mouse integration disabled.

I accidently deleted one of my machines and luckily have a backup. I hope when it finishes booting it will be without the mouse integration.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

Maybe remove the current version of virtualbox and install the old version 4.0 and see if you can save the disabling of mouse integration. Then uninstall the old version of virtualbox and install the new one. Sounds like a lot of work but I am pretty sure it will work. This is a major pain of a work around.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

I am not thinking it is an easy fix as I have no idea how much was restructured in 5.2 vs 4.something I only plead mercy with the developers. As this is a big drawback for older and less conformative OS's that run on Virtualbox.
Last edited by jeff.sadowski on 20. Dec 2017, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

My copying and importing the machine worked. So you can install vitualbox 4.something on another machine to save the machine in the correct state.
Last edited by jeff.sadowski on 20. Dec 2017, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

Must be 4.something because I have 5.0 on my work computer and am not able to get it like I want. I'll work on it a bit tomorrow to see if I can find a good version of virtualbox to create the machines in.
Last edited by jeff.sadowski on 20. Dec 2017, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jeff.sadowski wrote:I too would like to know of an answer to this.
The answer was thoroughly researched and given. Read the thread from the beginning.
jeff.sadowski wrote:Yes in previous versions you could turn it off and answer never ask again to a dialog box. I think in version 4.0. And then it saved the state permanently.
No you didn't. You are confused with another dialog. Read the thread from the beginning. And you're not helping with just an "I think". I need evidence, not potentially false memories.
jeff.sadowski wrote:Must be 4.something because I have 4.0 on my work computer and am not able to get it like I want.
No it isn't. Read the thread from the beginning.
jeff.sadowski wrote:Maybe remove the current version of virtualbox and install the old version 4.0 and see if you can save the disabling of mouse integration.
That won't help you because there was never such a preference. Read the thread from the beginning.

And finally you mentioned:
jeff.sadowski wrote:My machines I created in 4 still work properly
Post the "recipe" of such a VM, the .vbox file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, Show in Explorer/Finder/<else> ZIP it and attach it.

If you don't read the thread from the beginning, at stay keep this:
socratis wrote:I downgraded to several lower VirtualBox version, the lowest working one was 3.0.12, released on 2009-11-10 (more than 8 years ago!!!). The "Mouse Integration" option does not work as a switchable preference, it always comes up as enabled. There is no configuration token stored.
... and furthermore:
socratis wrote:The "Mouse Integration" makes only sense in guests that have the Guest Additions (GAs) installed.
You don't have guest additions for an Android guest, so your comments are completely void and out of place to begin with.

And a final comment: please gather your thoughts and actions is a single message, there's no need to post every 4 minutes on the same subject...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

I added my Andriod.vbox file I appended the txt. Too small to zip.
Deleted this I have a better one
Last edited by jeff.sadowski on 21. Dec 2017, 05:11, edited 2 times in total.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

It is interesting how it looks. If you look for mouse integration it is unclickable/greyed out and checked, however If I click the mouse is locked in the machine until I press right control.(Which is the behavior I want)
Last edited by jeff.sadowski on 21. Dec 2017, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

I seem to recall doing it via the user interface and disabling it there.

Sure as hell wasn't easy to find as I recall.
Last edited by jeff.sadowski on 20. Dec 2017, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

After some experimenting I have a better vbox file to give. I have a newer android disk image I got from the internet. I was able to just add it to this vm after I added it.
And wala I have a vm with the mouse integration disabled.
Attachments
Andriod.vbox.txt
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

Can we date the file Android version to find what version I did this in?

I originally did this on Android-x86_5.1-RC1.7z

This file was new when I did it and I had the latest version of virtualbox at the time. Like I said I recall doing this in the user interface section. There might have been more options back then,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@jeff.sadowski
I don't really have any more time to deal with people's memories of what they think might have worked or not. I wasted several hours trying different versions of VirtualBox, even 3.0.12 from 9 years ago. The option is simply not there.

If anyone wants to revisit this, please come back with solid evidence. And the exact steps to reproduce it...

As they say in math, you can't prove a negative.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

How about the proof of the working vbox I attached. I'm working on recreating the original recipe I used to originally build it. I didn't edit the file by hand the first time. So something I did in the GUI produced it.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Dec 2017, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
jeff.sadowski

Post by jeff.sadowski »

Hmm, I was able to create what I wanted in 4.2. Instead of creating a Linux I chose Other 32bit and it looks like it captures the mouse as I want. I didn't need to do anything special.