Portable Server

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SLick

Portable Server

Post by SLick »

Hi;

I'm a bit of a noob and am trying to setup a wordpress development environment on my laptop. So far, so good, but when I leave my domain and connect elsewhere, I lose access to my VB_Server. I was using a bridged adapter, but it fails at the local coffee shop, so I assume it will do the same at the customers site. It looks like a permission sort of fail. I tried NAT, NAT Network, and Host Only, but I can't load a page in Chrome no matter what IP address IFCONFIG shows me.

What is the best way to set this up?

I don't need access to the internet from the guest - I only need it from the host.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Portable Server

Post by mpack »

You certainly shouldn't be using "Host Only". The name of that mode is a bit of a clue: it won't let you browse the Internet, instead it will let you talk to the host (only).

Next. If only one VM is present then the difference between NAT and "NAT Network" is not relevant to you, as the latter effectively just lets a network of VMs share one host NAT connection, and talk to each other from behind the firewall.

NAT is usually the easiest network mode to use. NAT means that the VM process on the host accesses host Internet just like any other host app. Therefore if the host has internet access then the guest has it too. Concentrate on this, and please be more precise about error messages. NAT should be fine for Chrome use, but I have no idea what a Wordpress Development Environment involves. NAT isn't good for servers, though if you know what you're doing you can configure port forwarding to suit a particular app's use of TCP ports.