[WorksForMe] usb stops net connectivity

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
EgonF
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MX Linux

[WorksForMe] usb stops net connectivity

Post by EgonF »

VirtualBox 5.2.0
Host Windows 10
guests
Liniux Mint 17.3 and
Linux Mint 18.2

I installed an external disc via USB to save files from the host - system.

The guests lost the net connectivity. They could not reach 192.168.178.1.

After removing the usb device (after rebooting ?) the connectivity is there again.

Why stops the connectivity?

Egon
Last edited by socratis on 30. Nov 2017, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: usb stops net connectivity

Post by socratis »

Do you have USB networking gear? Do you have any filters?
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Also, I want to see all the information in USB basics and troubleshooting » #8: Asking for help.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
EgonF
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MX Linux

Post by EgonF »

I started my system normally this morning. So host and guests are running.

After that I was reading your answer. I was looking up "start the VM from cold-boot" but I could find nothing wether in the user guide nor via google.

So I was reading and saving the log of one of my guests. Then I connected my external disc and saved a file. The net connectivity was not stopped. So I cannot reproduce the problem which I described yesterday.

Egon
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

EgonF wrote: I was looking up "start the VM from cold-boot" but I could find nothing
Generally speaking, starting a computer from a cold-boot means not a restart, not a resume, but from a complete shut-down state. Warm (re)boot on the other hand is the opposite; saved/paused state for a VM or reboot/wake up for a real computer.
EgonF wrote:So I cannot reproduce the problem which I described yesterday.
OK, I will mark this then as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.