Drag and Drop to Tails OS ate my file

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
TheCharlatan

Drag and Drop to Tails OS ate my file

Post by TheCharlatan »

Using drag and drop I tried copying an executable to Tails running on VirtualBox, but it deleted the file. Is there a way to restore it? I am running VirtualBox version 5.0.40 on Ubuntu.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Drag and Drop to Tails OS ate my file

Post by socratis »

I've never, ever heard of drag and drop deleting something from the host. Never. Are you absolutely sure that you didn't do something else?

You didn't mention your host (and its complete version) or your guest's complete version. Also, what's the output of the command "VBoxManage -version"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TheCharlatan

Post by TheCharlatan »

The version is 5.0.40_Ubuntur115130. The host system is Ubuntu Xenial 16.04
Last edited by socratis on 27. Oct 2017, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
TheCharlatan

Post by TheCharlatan »

Could be a result of either guest or host being tight on memory?
TheCharlatan

Post by TheCharlatan »

It ended up in my VirtualBox VMs folder, still weird behaviour. Sorry for the silly thread.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

TheCharlatan wrote:5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130
It looks like you're using Ubuntu's forked version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).
TheCharlatan wrote:Could be a result of either guest or host being tight on memory?
No.
TheCharlatan wrote:It ended up in my VirtualBox VMs folder, still weird behaviour.
That's indeed weird. Maybe you dropped it mistakenly there. But as I said, this is the Ubuntu fork, so I couldn't know possibly what they're doing...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.