Problem with Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

Can you please explain to me why you included 2 PNGs and 6 logs for us to review? You're not paying us enough to go through that much hassle...

You have us going through 1-byte logs, just so that we try to figure why you chose to include them? What's their significance? Four 1-byte files? Why? And 3 "vboxadd-setup.log". Which one should I trust? The one that fails or the one that works?

Please run the GAs installation process again. Collect 1 PNG (not really necessary), and 1 "vboxadd-setup.log", the ones from the current run. I don't want to go through random log files, I want to see 1 log from when you install the GAs.

Then please edit your message and replace the attachment with the one from the last step. And let us know about it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
boxino

Post by boxino »

socratis wrote:Can you please explain to me why you included 2 PNGs and 6 logs for us to review? You're not paying us enough to go through that much hassle...

You have us going through 1-byte logs, just so that we try to figure why you chose to include them? What's their significance? Four 1-byte files? Why? And 3 "vboxadd-setup.log". Which one should I trust? The one that fails or the one that works?
Are you kidding or are you really serious :?:
Last edited by socratis on 28. Apr 2018, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm dead serious.

You got to help us help you. If you throw at me all the logs that you have in your system and you go "Here! You figure it out!", it's not going to fly. I don't need to see all the available logs. I want to see a log where/when the problem shows in the logs. Not everything and the kitchen sink...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
boxino

Post by boxino »

I understand the problem remains that I do not know what you need, but I know it only after you are angry. If I was so expert, I did not need help. :wink: Usually it is always better to put more information, in reality you should know what to open or not with the experience you have acquired. :wink:
Seriously tomorrow a nice trip without a computer, smartphone, log etc. it would be helpful to relax the minds. :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry if I came out as angry, I was only frustrated by the amount of information that should have been filtered by you. Ther's no point in including four 1-byte files.

I told you what we need: one PNG, or if you can copy/paste the text, even better, for example:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.11 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.1.26 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: modprobe vboxsf failed    <<<< This is NOT an error
You may need to restart the Window System (or just restart the guest system)
to enable the Guest Additions.

Press Return to close this window...
and second the "/var/log/vboxadd-setup.log", ZIPPED. That's all...