Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Postby Zeppe » 22. Nov 2017, 21:47

Hello! I am having problems with the latest VBox/Ubuntu 17.10 also. I am following the instructions provided by Perryg on page 1, i.e., literally, I did:

1. create new VM
2. install Ubuntu 17.10 from ISO
3. set up apt proxy (irrelevant detail)
4. `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade`
5. `sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential make gcc automake libssl-dev linux-headers-generic autoconf checkinstall intltool libtool module-assistant perl python python3`
6. `sudo reboot`
7. inserted `VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-118918.iso` CD and installed (ran auto-run)
8. checked that `/etc/depmod.d/vboxvideo-upstream.conf` was present
8. `sudo reboot`

At this point, 17.10 works with 3D acceleration disabled. When I enable it, it hangs on black screen. Getting a console, the last line in `/var/log/lastlog` mentions:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
Nov 22 19:38:03 crab gnome-session[789]: OpenGL Warning: vboxCall failed with VBox status code VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW

Is this expected? I quite like 3D acceleration :)
Zeppe

Postby Queky » 28. Nov 2017, 15:43

Having same trouble as you, it won't start with 3D acceleration enabled. Followed this steps with previous 5.2.2 GA installation (and then reinstalled again during the process) and the error went out.
Last edited by socratis on 28. Nov 2017, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Queky

Postby michael » 8. Dec 2017, 11:59

I just updated the development series test builds (not yet the 5.2 ones)[1]. The Guest Additions build there should contain an additional fix for the Linux guest hangs with 3D enabled.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
michael
Oracle Corporation

Postby stilldoesntwork » 8. Dec 2017, 23:14

The development snapshot 119522 does indeed fix the error for me while revision 119512 did not.

EDIT: It fixes the startup freeze, but when dragging a window to a corner in order to snap it to half of the screen, everything instantly starts lagging and won't recover.
Last edited by stilldoesntwork on 8. Dec 2017, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
stilldoesntwork

Postby socratis » 8. Dec 2017, 23:32

stilldoesntwork wrote:The development snapshot 119522 does indeed fix the error for me

That's where you should have put the period in your sentence. ;)
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby piggyz » 10. Dec 2017, 02:47

michael wrote:I just updated the development series test builds (not yet the 5.2 ones)[1]. The Guest Additions build there should contain an additional fix for the Linux guest hangs with 3D enabled.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

Hi, this seems to quietly fix 3D accelleration and login screen/desktop interface problem related with previous GA in Ubuntu and other modern Linux Distributions.

I tested various configuration and it seems everything is pretty much fixed but Plasma Desktop.

Plasma Desktop windows manager Kwin do not load or, if it load, it will crash first time you click the application launcher/menu, obviously if 3D enabled even with new, latest GA.

I will investigate this more, then I'm sure it is a problem with 3D and GA becouse like I said before, with 3D disabled, also Plasma Desktop works fine (even with previous GA additions).

If you have the time look in that direction too to completely fix this GA and modern Linux distros problem. This is the right direction.
piggyz

Previous

Return to Linux Guests