Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Zeppe

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Post by Zeppe »

Hello! I am having problems with the latest VBox/Ubuntu 17.10 also. I am following the instructions provided by Perryg on page 1, i.e., literally, I did:

1. create new VM
2. install Ubuntu 17.10 from ISO
3. set up apt proxy (irrelevant detail)
4. `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade`
5. `sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential make gcc automake libssl-dev linux-headers-generic autoconf checkinstall intltool libtool module-assistant perl python python3`
6. `sudo reboot`
7. inserted `VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.1-118918.iso` CD and installed (ran auto-run)
8. checked that `/etc/depmod.d/vboxvideo-upstream.conf` was present
8. `sudo reboot`

At this point, 17.10 works with 3D acceleration disabled. When I enable it, it hangs on black screen. Getting a console, the last line in `/var/log/lastlog` mentions:

Code: Select all

Nov 22 19:38:03 crab gnome-session[789]: OpenGL Warning: vboxCall failed with VBox status code VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW
Is this expected? I quite like 3D acceleration :)
Queky

Post by Queky »

Having same trouble as you, it won't start with 3D acceleration enabled. Followed this steps with previous 5.2.2 GA installation (and then reinstalled again during the process) and the error went out.
Last edited by socratis on 28. Nov 2017, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I just updated the development series test builds (not yet the 5.2 ones)[1]. The Guest Additions build there should contain an additional fix for the Linux guest hangs with 3D enabled.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
stilldoesntwork

Post by stilldoesntwork »

The development snapshot 119522 does indeed fix the error for me while revision 119512 did not.

EDIT: It fixes the startup freeze, but when dragging a window to a corner in order to snap it to half of the screen, everything instantly starts lagging and won't recover.
Last edited by stilldoesntwork on 8. Dec 2017, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

stilldoesntwork wrote:The development snapshot 119522 does indeed fix the error for me
That's where you should have put the period in your sentence. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
piggyz

Post by piggyz »

michael wrote:I just updated the development series test builds (not yet the 5.2 ones)[1]. The Guest Additions build there should contain an additional fix for the Linux guest hangs with 3D enabled.

Hi, this seems to quietly fix 3D accelleration and login screen/desktop interface problem related with previous GA in Ubuntu and other modern Linux Distributions.

I tested various configuration and it seems everything is pretty much fixed but Plasma Desktop.

Plasma Desktop windows manager Kwin do not load or, if it load, it will crash first time you click the application launcher/menu, obviously if 3D enabled even with new, latest GA.

I will investigate this more, then I'm sure it is a problem with 3D and GA becouse like I said before, with 3D disabled, also Plasma Desktop works fine (even with previous GA additions).

If you have the time look in that direction too to completely fix this GA and modern Linux distros problem. This is the right direction.
bugnumber9

Post by bugnumber9 »

The following simple steps worked for me to fix the "This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules" problem.
I tested on several Ubuntu distros (Lubuntu, Xubuntu) version 17.10, the host OS is Win7 x64.

1. Install the guest OS as usual.
2. apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
3. apt-get install build-essential
4. apt-get install dkms
5. Reboot
6. Install guest additions as usual.

The above scenario worked just fine.
Last edited by bugnumber9 on 16. Dec 2017, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
mbman

Post by mbman »

Just wanted to let anyone know that I tried this despite my doubts and surprisingly it worked. Also Win7 host trying to run an Ubuntu guest (16.04 Mate). Both are x64 and host has hardware virtualization. The linux headers reported as newest version and no change was done. The build-essential was installed. I rebooted, same error at startup, then reinstalled Guest Additions and this time it successfully installed the modules. I rebooted again as suggested from the dialogue and no error was reported. After logging on I noticed a couple shared folders I had previously attempted to setup listed on the guest's desktop, as well as clipboard bidirectional function.
Last edited by socratis on 16. Dec 2017, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
bugnumber9

Post by bugnumber9 »

Yeah, I recall most distros I tested had linux-headers already installed. At least one didn't, I think that was "pure" Ubuntu.
Also, just edited my reply above - I forgot to mention that I also installed dkms (yet looks like it's not necessary according to mbman's reply).

Slightly off-topic. Some people mentioned issues with graphics/3D - well, I had to disable 3D acceleration for Ubuntu Mate and Ubuntu Budgie.
In Mate the Software Boutique wasn't working (produced blank white page), in Budgie the Software utility was freezing on resizing its window and freezing the whole guest a few seconds after.
That said, everything is fine with 3D acceleration enabled in Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
Zeppe

Post by Zeppe »

The latest virtualbox 5.2.4 r119785 fixes the hang at startup with 3D acceleration on a vanilla installation of Ubuntu 17.10. However, the following problems have been encountered:

1. with 3D acceleration disabled, switching to full-screen mode (Ctrl-F) garbles the screen (just gibberish.. random horizonal lines); going off full screen restores it
2. with 3D acceleration disabled, switching to full-screen doesn't trigger a full resize of the window content: parts don't get resized (e.g. big black frame on the borders), parts do (the background image is stretched), and the mouse pointer seems to have an offset. teh entire system becomes unusable.

So I think there was a regression here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Zeppe
Don't you think that the original problem has been resolved? And that you should open a new thread with an appropriate title, logs and even some screenshots if necessary?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

@Zeppe Or a bug ticket. Feel free to link to it here.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Could you actually give one of the test builds[1] a try? Specifically a revision before 119776, and as of writing they have not yet been updated past that.

Zeppe

Post by Zeppe »

Sure thing. I think in the original problem was fixed on page one and the remaining 3 pages we were discussing attempts to fix various display issues possibly related to 3D acceleration, but I'm happy to do the right thing and file a bug.
cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

It seems like one of the main takeaways here is that the message:
Please install the gcc make perl packages from your distribution.
is misleading.

The message should include build-essential!

Any devs aware of this? I would submit a fix if I was more familiar with the VCS and doc system but I don't know much about subversion and all that...