Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Gurucubano
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: FreeBSD

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 - Guest Additions Installation Error

Post by Gurucubano »

I have exactly the same problem with VBox and its guest addons with version 5.1.18. The host is Win7 amd64.

In /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log it says:

Code: Select all

grep: /lib/modules/4.13.0-32-generic/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.13.0-32-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j1 modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo >&2; \
echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/autoconf.h are missing."; \
echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo >&2 ;
/bin/false)

gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.alloc-r0drv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/7/include  -I./arch/x86/include -I./arch/x86/include/generated  -I./include -I./arch/x86/include/uapi -I./arch/x86/include/generated/uapi -I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h -Iubuntu/include  -D__KERNEL__ -fno-pie -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fshort-wchar -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -std=gnu89 -fno-PIE -fno-pie -no-pie -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx -m64 -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -mno-80387 -mno-fp-ret-in-387 -mpreferred-stack-boundary=3 -mskip-rax-setup -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -DCONFIG_X86_X32_ABI -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SSSE3=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CRC32=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX2=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX512=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA1_NI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_SHA256_NI=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow -Wno-int-in-bool-context -O2 --param=allow-store-data-races=0 -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -fstack-protector-strong -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-var-tracking-assignments -pg -mfentry -DCC_USING_FENTRY -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types -Werror=designated-init -Wno-declaration-after-statement -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/VBoxGuestMangling.h -fno-pie -I/lib/modules/4.13.0-32-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxguest/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DVBOX -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_GUEST -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DIN_MODULE -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBGL_VBOXGUEST -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"alloc_r0drv_linux"'  -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxguest"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c
In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c:31:0:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxGuest_RTMemContAlloc’:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:323:47: error: implicit declaration of function ‘set_pages_x’; did you mean ‘get_page’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 # define MY_SET_PAGES_EXEC(pPages, cPages)    set_pages_x(pPages, cPages)^M
                                               ^
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c:445:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘MY_SET_PAGES_EXEC’
                                               ^
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c:445:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘MY_SET_PAGES_EXEC’
             MY_SET_PAGES_EXEC(&paPages[iPage], 1);^M
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxGuest_RTMemContFree’:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:324:47: error: implicit declaration of function ‘set_pages_nx’; did you mean ‘set_page_node’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
 # define MY_SET_PAGES_NOEXEC(pPages, cPages)  set_pages_nx(pPages, cPages)^M
                                               ^
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c:493:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘MY_SET_PAGES_NOEXEC’
             MY_SET_PAGES_NOEXEC(&paPages[iPage], 1);^M
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:308: recipe for target '/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o] Error 1
Makefile:1550: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/vbox.0' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:84: recipe for target 'vboxguest' failed
make: *** [vboxguest] Error 2

Doing the above requested commands does not help. The first works, the second fails.

Matthias
Last edited by Gurucubano on 22. Feb 2018, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Gurucubano wrote:I have exactly the same problem with VBox and its guest addons with version 5.18.1.
Best try that again. No such version has ever existed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Plus, what "Gurucubano" quoted are not errors, they are echo statements.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gurucubano
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: FreeBSD

Post by Gurucubano »

mpack wrote:
Gurucubano wrote:I have exactly the same problem with VBox and its guest addons with version 5.18.1.
Best try that again. No such version has ever existed.
Thanks for pointing this out. The version is 5.1.18. And, I've edited my original post to show more errors. I could upload the full file vboxadd-install.log if this would help.

Matthias
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Gurucubano wrote:The version is 5.1.18.
...and it's ancient. You need to upgrade! Yesterday!!! ;)

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. Download the latest VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 5.2.6.

If that doesn't work (most probably), you should try the latest test builds, especially with all the Spectre/Meltdown patches coming in from all sides.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.