Various problems with Linux guests in 5.2.0

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
evilpenguin_mn

Various problems with Linux guests in 5.2.0

Post by evilpenguin_mn »

It is mentioned elsewhere, but there the guest additions ISO shipped with 5.2.0 simply does not work (and I can confirm that for Ubuntu 17.10, CentOS 7.1, and Fedora26). They have posted a link to a 5.2.1 ISO image on the main download page. I have that link here for convenience. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

That got the drivers built and installed. However, I can report (on Fedora 26 anyways) that 3d acceleration does not appear to work for me. My Host OS is Ubuntu 17.04 and as I said, Fedora 26 is the guest OS.

The symptom is a blank screen for the X login screen. I think it is "there" because the OS is running (I can ssh to it from "outside" and an ACPI shutdown cleanly shuts down). But the screen stay stubbornly blank.

I am planning to try the same with Windows 7 and 10 as a Host OS.

I have had no problems so far with Windows guests.
trekfan1
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Various problems with Linux guests in 5.2.0

Post by trekfan1 »

Disable 3D Acceleration on VirtualBox Options
Sorry for my English, i'm Italian
billznn

Post by billznn »

I confirm that VBox 5.2, with Guest additions as recommended on the download page 5.2.1, break the 3D acceleration on my Fedora 25 guest inside a Fedora 26 Host.
trekfan1 wrote:Disable 3D Acceleration on VirtualBox Options
How is this supposed to be an answer? That's not a solution. VBox 5.1 was perfect, how can the new official one be worse? I do need 3D acceleration, so the only option for whoever is in my situation is to stick with the old (and now disrecommended by Oracle) 5.1 version. This time, Oracle, you hit a big disappointment... I finally almost convinced my team to abandon VMWare... now they will cling to it stronger.

Anybody has any other suggestion otherwise? (real ones...)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

billznn wrote:Anybody has any other suggestion otherwise? (real ones...)
  1. Don't upgrade if you don't have to. Stick with what works. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
  2. Wait for the next revision. Dot-zero releases are never 100% perfect, for any software.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.