Linux-Mint Cinnamon 18.2 and Virtualbox 5.2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jimnms

Re: Linux-Mint Cinnamon 18.2 and Virtualbox 5.2

Post by jimnms »

I'm still having the same problem with Virtualbox 5.2.2. I removed the pre-installed virtualbox modules but I never got Virtualbox 5.2 to work, so I went back to 5.1.30. I just installed 5.2.2 and it's the same problem as before. I get the login screen, but after logging in, it's a black screen for about 30 seconds, then it briefly flashes my background image, goes black again and I see the desktop icons. Trying to run a program pinned to the desktop runs the program, but the window manager is not working. I've tried logging in using software rendering, but it does the same thing.

Installing the 5.1.30 guest additions with 5.2.2 works though.
awannkinton

Post by awannkinton »

same here, im use windows 10 build 1709 as host and vb 5.2.2 x linux mint 18.2 / 18.3 still black screen after logging in user :?
Last edited by socratis on 27. Nov 2017, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
hugh_jaynus
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18.3

Post by hugh_jaynus »

jimnms wrote:I'm still having the same problem with Virtualbox 5.2.2. I removed the pre-installed virtualbox modules but I never got Virtualbox 5.2 to work, so I went back to 5.1.30. I just installed 5.2.2 and it's the same problem as before. I get the login screen, but after logging in, it's a black screen for about 30 seconds, then it briefly flashes my background image, goes black again and I see the desktop icons. Trying to run a program pinned to the desktop runs the program, but the window manager is not working. I've tried logging in using software rendering, but it does the same thing.

Installing the 5.1.30 guest additions with 5.2.2 works though.
I'm having the same issue on Windows 7 with Mint 18.3. The display works fine for the login screen, and will flash the background image for a couple seconds after entering login info. But then the system takes unusually long to boot, and when it does, the screen is all black with no start menu/taskbar, and only desktop icons are visible. While I can open a terminal and browse through folders, I cannot reposition any of the windows or resize them. Very frustrating.

I've found that things go back to normal if I uncheck 3D Acceleration. However, that's exactly what I want enabled, because the VM is slow otherwise ("running in software rendering mode")...

I can post screenshots, if needed. Won't let me post URLs at the moment as this is a new account.
hugh_jaynus
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18.3

Post by hugh_jaynus »

The error noted above has been fixed by the latest update (version 5.2.4 r119785). Mint 18.3 guest now boots normally with 3D Acceleration checked.
Last edited by socratis on 22. Dec 2017, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.