[Solved] Ubuntu 14.04LTS stuck on login screen after Guest Addition upgrade (vbox 5.2)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
k.grzembski

[Solved] Ubuntu 14.04LTS stuck on login screen after Guest Addition upgrade (vbox 5.2)

Post by k.grzembski »

Host is windows 10. After upgrading vbox to 5.2.0 r118431 system worked but after upgrading Guest Additions i was unable to exit login screen. After changing to terminal (ctrl+alt+F1) i saw in .xsession-errors this message:
OpenGl Warning: vboxCall failer with VBox status code VERR_BUFFER_VERFLOW
Solution for me was to reinstall unity:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install unity
and then disabling "3D acceleration" in VM options. Now i can login but system is slow. For me it is not a big problem as i use it only as local webserver but may be problem for other.

Hope it will help someone.
Last edited by socratis on 20. Oct 2017, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
firthmj
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Ubuntu 14.04LTS stuck on login screen after Guest Addition upgrade (vbox 5.2)

Post by firthmj »

I wonder if whatever bug was causing your problems was the cause of the issues I was seeing with a Debian 9 (Stretch) guest on upgrading to VirtualBox V5.2.0 today.

As per your experience, the VM worked when running the old version of "guest additions", but on upgrading to the latest "guest additions" (strangely it seems the guest additions ISO in V5.2.0 identifies itself as V5.2.1) I didn't even get a login screen, just a black screen with a mouse pointer.

My solution for now is to forcibly install guest additions V5.1.30, which at least gets me back to having a working display.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Re: Ubuntu 14.04LTS stuck on login screen after Guest Addition upgrade (vbox 5.2)

Post by JEBjames »

To troubleshooting, try the following from a terminal window and paste the result from the problem system:
modinfo vboxvideo | grep "^version"
modinfo vboxguest | grep "^version"
modinfo vboxsf | grep "^version"
I suspect vboxvideo will show the ubuntu drivers?

I have similar symptoms on LUbuntu 16.04.03 + HWE (kernel 4.10.0-37) with a fresh install of the operating system + guest additions. Guest additions also call themselves 5.2.1??

In my case it logs in fine. But if I can duplicate the OpenGl error. Running the "glxinfo" command from a LXTerminal window endlessly spams the same warning: "OpenGL Warning: vboxCall failed with VBox status code VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW".

I noticed errors running ./VBoxLinuxGuestAdditions.run. This ends up with part of the guest additions installing. This results in the *Ubuntu* version of the VirtualBox video drivers being installed (5.1.16_Ubuntu r1113841). Something with this is conflicting/crashing.

Excerpt from VBoxLinuxAdditions.run log:

/4.10.0-37-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0 -Iinclude/drm -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE  -DMODULE  -DKBUILD_BASENAME='"hgsmi_base"'  -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"vboxvideo"' -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.o /tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c
/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c: In function 'hgsmi_send_caps_info':
/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.c:99:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'AssertRC' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  AssertRC(p->rc);^M
  ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:294: recipe for target '/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/hgsmi_base.o] Error 1
Makefile:1524: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/vbox.0' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:97: recipe for target 'vboxvideo' failed
make: *** [vboxvideo] Error 2
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.
Work around: I mounted the 5.2.0 Beta 2 guest additions and installed them:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _BETA2.iso

I also tried the 5.2.0_beta3.iso. I downloaded this ISO twice, but VirtualBox says it's corrupted and fails to mount it.
k.grzembski

Post by k.grzembski »

on not working system:
> modinfo vboxvideo | grep "^version"
modinfo: ERROR: Module vboxvideo not found.
> modinfo vboxguest | grep "^version"
version: 5.2.1 r118430
> modinfo vboxsf | grep "^version"
version: 5.2.1 r118430
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please check the new GAs at the downloads area: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
There is a problem with the released 5.2.0 GAs for Linux guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

socratis,

The 5.2.1 r118447 iso installs cleanly. modinfo for vboxguest, vboxsf, and vboxvideo all show this module installed.

However if I do:

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
glxinfo
I still get an endless spam of errors: :(

OpenGL Warning: vboxCall failed with VBox status code VERR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, that's a whole lot different issue. I would suggest to open a new thread with an appropriate title. And post a VBox.log, ZIPPED after doing the following:
  • "Start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe the error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
But as I said, please do that in a new thread, as I'm going to mark this one as [Solved]. This thread has served its purpose... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.