[Solved] No Network at boot, only Network after resetting guest interface

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
CTimms

Re: No Network at boot, only Network after resetting guest interface

Post by CTimms »

dhclient just seems to run and hang for several minutes until coming back to a prompt. ifconfig -a aftwards shows no change and I can only ping the loopback address. Below is the interface file.
Attachments
interfaces.JPG
interfaces.JPG (36.41 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
CTimms

Post by CTimms »

To me it seems like it's something related to the network services that is not working, or possibly starting out of order. /etc/init.d/networking restart is the only command that seems to fix it. Bringing the interface down or up by itself doesn't do it. It almost seems like one of the onboard networking protocols isn't starting at boot. What is weird is that it wasn't localized to a single install of Ubuntu, and is now on the 3rd virtual install. I did try writing /etc/init.d/networking restart into a script on a crontab entry for @reboot, but that didnt' solve it either. Only when manually entering the command does it fix it.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

To me it seems like it's something related to the network services that is not working, or possibly starting out of order
VBox network is not that smart, but with that said I also noticed the following.

Code: Select all

00:00:00.116125 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
According to Intel the Intel® Xeon® Processor 5130 processor should be able to have it enabled.

Maybe that is enough to cause your issue although it should not matter to the network stack but what the heck it is easiest enough to try.

I have not been able to replicate this and to tell you the truth I have only seen this kind of network issue on RPM based machines because they do not setup the network to start on boot and one must re-configure it to do so.
CTimms

Post by CTimms »

So what you're saying is I need to take down my server host and enable the VT-x in Bios? I can try that for sure. I also noticed that with VT-x disabled I couldn't set my --cpus to more than 1, nor could I install the 64-bit version of UBUNTU server on the guest. The host Unit is serving a purpose right now and I will have to wait for the right time to bring it down. I also don't have the DRAC setup, so I will have to be physically at the machine to do it (I'm operating remotely from work to my home server atm). This is something I can try within the next 24 hours though.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Like I said stranger things have happened so it is worth a shot. VBox network just isn't all that complicated and its purpose is to hook into the host network stack and provide the virtual adapter to the guest.
CTimms

Post by CTimms »

so, wow... it actually worked... I thought I was going crazy.

so yea, it's working, network works great, changed to static ip and it works great.... Now I can start loading my software and use it how I intend to.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Interesting... VT-x affecting networking? That's a first, I got to say. Anyway, marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.