Need network help (VB 5.1.28 really slow)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Need network help (VB 5.1.28 really slow)

Post by Perryg »

Mint. Debian based distros are easier than rpm based ones for most users, and of all of the Debian based OSes mint is superior IMHO. The cinnamon desktop allows for just enough eye candy to make most happy and the lack of unity stuff that Ubuntu has makes it more stable. ( unity DT is going away since even Ubuntu sees it as a failed endeavour )
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Reading back through your posts I see where you actually got things working satisfactorily then you decided to upgrade to a newer kernel and it all went south. So the question I have is why upgrade the kernel? I usually use the "if it ain't broke" theory since it usually forces one to fix other packages needed to make things work properly again.
keywild

Post by keywild »

I was doing all the upgrades to see wear it breaks and I kept a copy of th working system. Unfortunately that working system was still running box 4.3. Where it brok was when I tried to install vbox 5.1.28 "over the top of it" or "in place of it" both --- both approaches failed. Debian was one of smoothest installs I have used. Then I found out how stripped down it was. I installed gdebi and tried to use it to install vbox 5.1.28 but it was missing some dependencies that were not available on Debian. It salso used the old slow Intel Pro driver (100 Mbaud).

Next up fedora ....