[Solved] Failed to open Virtual Machine - start tag expected...

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
pingram

[Solved] Failed to open Virtual Machine - start tag expected...

Post by pingram »

Hello, I recently had to move a guest to another drive. I deleted the machine from within Virtual Box and copied the folder containing the .vbox file, the .vbox-prev file and the .vmdk disk image file all to an external drive. I was then able to import it back in by simply double clicking on the moved .vbox file, booted up and verified everything was great. I then shut down and imported a new image via .ova file and this is when I noticed the previously moved machine was listed with an error claiming there was a problem with the path but I verified the path was correct and what the heck I was just booted into that machine??? I deleted the machine (again keeping the files intact) and attempted again to double click the .vbox file to import the machine but now it gives an error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open virtual machine located in /...the/...correct/...path/myfile.vbox even though again the path is confirmed good.  Below the error in the details it says "Start tag expected, '<' not found.

Location" '/...the/...correct/...path/myfile.vbox', line 1 (0), column 1.

/Users/vboc/tinderbox/5.1-mac-rel/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[485](nsresult Machine::initFormSettings(VirtualBox *, const com::Utf8Str &, const com::Guid *)).

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
MachineWrap
Interface: 
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
Callee: 
IVirtualBox {0169423f-46b4-cde9-91af-1e9d5b6cd945}
Not really sure how to grab any logs for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 4. Oct 2017, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to open Virtual Machine - start tag expected...

Post by socratis »

pingram wrote:myfile.vbox', line 1 (0), column 1.
That means that your .vbox file has a zero size. Quit VirtualBox, go to the non-existent directory where your .vbox is, and there should be a .vbox-prev file. Copy that to the .vbox one. See if that helps...

PS. I should have obfuscated my answer as well, but I'm in a good mood tonight ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pingram

Post by pingram »

Actually the file was fine. Turns out it was a journal issue with OS X effing up my external NTFS drive. Connected it to a Win machine, repaired the drive, rebooted OS X and it was fine. Please close this ticket and thank you for the quick support!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There is nothing to close, I'll mark it as [Solved], but out of curiosity, which program do you use for NTFS access, Paragon or OSXFUSE with NTFS-3G?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.