How to access SD card from Tails guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Craaaaang

How to access SD card from Tails guest

Post by Craaaaang »

I am running Virtual Box on a Windows host with Linux Tails as the guest OS.

How do I access an SD card from within Tails?

I've worked out how to do it with a USB drive, but it seems to be different for an SD card.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to access SD card from Tails guest

Post by mpack »

No, it is no different for an SD card. An SD card and a USB drive are the same thing - the SD reader just happens to be connected to the USB controller inside your PC instead of outside it, plus you can't easily unplug and replug the reader.

Attach it to the VM in the usual ways: create a filter, or grab it explicitly using the Device menu, or access it as a shared folder.

I hope you're aware that USB devices can't be shared. So if the VM has USB ownership then the host will be unable to access the device. Accessing it as a shared folder avoids this.
Craaaaang

Post by Craaaaang »

Oh, that's weird. When I plug in and unplug my USB drive, I see it appear and disappear from the USB device list in Tails (bottom right USB icon), but when I plug in and unplug the SD card, nothing appears in that list for me to select. I've also looked in the VBox settings > USB list and it's not there either. It opens in Windows normally.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Craaaaang wrote:Oh, that's weird.
Not weird at all. Adding and removing the card from the reader is NOT unplugging and replugging the reader itself.

Try this. Say it was an RS232 adapter. Would you expect that disconnecting and connecting the serial cable would make the port disappear and reappear?