Guest additions breaks keyboard/mouse

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mfafa

Guest additions breaks keyboard/mouse

Post by mfafa »

Hi,

I am having a problem on my workstation where keyboard and mouse does not work after installing guest additions. Keyboard now works in GRUB bootloader, but stops working as guest OS is loaded. I am not able to log in.

Guest OS: BunsenLabs Linux (based on Debian Jessie)
(bl-Deuterium-amd64_20170429.iso)
VirtualBox 5.1.28
Win10 64

The same host/guest OS combination works fine on my laptop!

Any help or pointers on how to figure it out would be appreciated :)

Regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest additions breaks keyboard/mouse

Post by socratis »

Did you enable any USB filters by any chance? If yes, please delete them, especially if they're blank ones.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mfafa

Post by mfafa »

Hi,

I had no filters enabled.

I tried to install the VB Expansion pack with USB 2.0 drivers.

In the end I installed the guest OS again with guest additions, following this guide:
https://www.linuxbabe.com/desktop-linux ... ep-by-step

Kb/mouse is working now! :)

Regards
Arawra

Post by Arawra »

I also am having this issue.

Host is Windows 10, guest is Ubuntu 16.04.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The original poster did not post any diagnostic information, or logs. You can't come and say "I have the same problem". You need to provide more information.

Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.