Problem setting up host-only network on Linux guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Problem setting up host-only network on Linux guest

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

[    5.007759] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp0s3: link is not ready
[    5.012690] e1000: enp0s3 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX
[    5.012933] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp0s3: link becomes ready
[    8.025278] floppy0: no floppy controllers found
[    8.025309] work still pending
[    8.134905] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): enp0s8: link is not ready
[   28.969206] random: crng init done
Looking at your dmesg I clearly see enp0s3 becoming ready, but not enp0s8. I still think this is a guest OS issue especially since this was not actually installed by you. Your previous post about wireshark proved what I had been saying about the dhcp service working and yes I use and trust wireshark to report what it sees. Easiest way to test this is to download a LiveCD and set it to NAT and host-only and see if it works out of the box. If so then you have something wrong in the guest. Without being able to actually get my hands on it network problems are all but impossible to troubleshoot and fix. Especially with all this hocus pocus stuff they are doing with name convention and proxy channelling.
dma_k
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Debian [stretch]

Post by dma_k »

Thanks for support. I have re-installed Debian from blank, and it worked perfectly! Hooray!
It's difficult to say what was wrong in that Debian installation, but I am very thankful to you for your input as during investigation I've learned something new.
DanKrueger

Post by DanKrueger »

I believe this a problem with the VBoxManger and NOT a problem with linux configuration.
The problem is there is a bug with the Host Only Network not be made properly available to the VM..
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you claim that there is a problem with VirtualBox HostOnly network (not the VirtualBox Manager), then you should provide some evidence about that, don't you think? So far the only evidence in this thread is that a fresh installation of the guest fixed the problem, so, how exactly can it be a VirtualBox issue and not a guest issue?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pianoko

Post by pianoko »

This is a couple of years later, but I was having the exact same issue (I mean, EXACT). Upgrading to the latest version of VB (6.0.14 at the moment) did the trick. There must have been a little bug or an improvement to deal with different environments regarding this DHCP, although I do not see any mention of it in the changelog. I, too, was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.
dma_k
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Debian [stretch]

Post by dma_k »

DHCP server in VirtualBox is still a mystery to me, see my post from this year. I didn't check v6.x, but v5.x is a catastrophe (although rebooting host usually helps).
Last edited by socratis on 22. Oct 2019, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.