Linux directory or file not found

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Chris007

Linux directory or file not found

Post by Chris007 »

HELP!!! I"ve been desperately trying to install Linux 18.2 Cinammon on Virtualbox since days!

After
1.successfully enabling the Virtualization Technology vt-x on my Bios

2. successfully installing an empty guest machine on Virtualbox ( select "create a virtual hard drive now" -> VDI -> Dynamically allocated 25 GB, Then go back to Settings -> STORAGE -> Click disk next to "Attributes -> Choose a virtual file disk -> There select the chosen Linux.iso file ->OK)

3 . then changing the Linux Guest Machine Settings (right mouse click on the desired virtual machine -> Settings) in Virtualbox as per installation manual ( 1. System Memory 1909 MB, Boot Order:Optical and Hard Disk (no Floppy), 2. Display: Video Memory 128 MB, Acceleration 3D, Remote Desktop Sever and Video Capture: Disabled, 3. STORAGE : CONTROLLER: IDE, IDE Secondary Master:(Optical Drive) Linux 18.2 Cinnamon.iso (1.56GB), Controller:SATA, SATA Port 0: Linux 18.2.vdi (normal 8 GB) )

4. I then installed the "Oracle VM Virtual Box Extension Pack" to change the USB Settings in the Linux Guest Machine Settings from USB 1.0 to USB 3.0 ( USB 2.0 also didn't work since it gave me the message " unable to find a live medium", which disappeared after changing the Guest Machine Settings to USB 3.0)

But,-after I did all the BIOS and guest machine change as described above -when I then tried to start the Linux virtual machine on virtual box I typed "exit" ( as per another help manual that suggested to fix a bad superblock ) and now I am now stuck at this Linux 18.2 start screen here (see black screen below)

Can someone PLEASE HELP me to fix the issue ( the Virtualbox start screen for Linux says that "current directory is on the same filesystem as the root " ) ???
Attachments
VirtualBox_Linux 18.2 (V03)_24_09_2017_18_59_50 Screenshot.png
VirtualBox_Linux 18.2 (V03)_24_09_2017_18_59_50 Screenshot.png (32.9 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Linux directory or file not found

Post by mpack »

There is no "VirtualBox start screen for Linux". What you have there is a message from Linux, period. VirtualBox didn't create it or filter it in any way.

In fact there's no "Linux Cinnamon 18.2" either. The OS I assume you're trying to install is Linux Mint (64bit), build 18.2 (aka Cinnamon).

As for the error: this is coming from Mint so I should direct you to the Mint forums, but as a total guess I'd say that you've booted Mint in live CD (demo) mode, which creates a RAM disk that it runs from - and then you tried to install Mint proper onto the RAMdisk. I suggest that you return to the installer, and choose the scary "Install and totally obliterate the contents of your hard disk" option. It's a VM. The hard disk it mentions is virtual too. If you get a list of drives then take note of the size. The (correct) virtual HDD will be 25GB, the RAMdisk will be much smaller.

If you need to continue this discussion then please provide a VM log: With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.