Drag and Drop not working on Kali guest image

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
CyberDino

Drag and Drop not working on Kali guest image

Post by CyberDino »

I'm using the Kali 32 bit virtual image that's provided on OSboxes dot org (can't post a link due to new account) The 2017.1 version. Host system is a windows 7 64 bit home edition

Guest has 2GB ram allotted and 100GB hard drive space. Host has 12GB ram, VB and all images are stored on a 1TB drive, OS is on a separate SSD of about 250mb

After installing the VB Guest Additions (yes, actually installing them which was a WHOLE thing that involved updating my entire kali image so I could use the right headers and getting the repositories to work), copy/paste from host to guest but drag and drop just refuses to work. What further troubleshooting steps should I take? Are there any known issues or workarounds related to this? Most of the info I've googled up is several years old.

Also took a look at the shared folders tutorial and it really didn't help. It's not very detailed and when I followed the steps they didn't work.

I'm new-ish to virtual box and am by no means a linux pro so please have mercy. It's not really essential to get drag and drop working, but it's incredibly frustrating that it just won't cooperate.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Kali Lab 1-2017-09-22-17-25-07.zip
VB logfile for kali image
(21.06 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Drag and Drop not working on Kali guest image

Post by mpack »

Um... The log does not show a guest with drag and drop issues, it shows a guest which aborts a bootstrap (28s in) due to PAE being enabled in the guest OS but not in the VM. Try again with the right log.