BusyBox Problem

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
saaan

BusyBox Problem

Post by saaan »

Hi everyone,
I am very not a Linux expert, I tried to found an answer to my question in the previous post, I apologize If this was already treated.
I am working on a project which require linux in order to run a program called openquake. I downloaded the package for the VB
on their plateform.
I have Ubuntu (64-bit) on a macOS Sierra (10.12.5).

This morning my computer crashed. And I couldn't close the VirtualBox properly. Since that moment I've got (after loading) the message :
Capture d’écran 2017-09-10 à 10.39.26.png
Capture d’écran 2017-09-10 à 10.39.26.png (59.9 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
To be honnest I have no idea what to do and I have really important file on the machin that I really need to get back (That will teach me to do backups..)
Any idea are really welcomed !

Cheers !
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: BusyBox Problem

Post by socratis »

For future reference, next time please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least). Not everyone is blessed with a HiDPI display ;)

Your guest boots, which seems to indicate a corrupted file not on the host (the VDI) but something going wrong in the guest. Actually the error message tells you what to do; run 'fsck' manually. Other than that, you should be searching in the Linux forums for help for the moment.

Just because a program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem. You're having an issue that most probably has nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"OS X Hosts" doesn't seem like the obvious place to ask for advice on Linux. Moving this topic to "Linux Guests".
saaan

Post by saaan »

Thanks socratis for your answer,
sorry for the image size, probably should have clicked preview before posting.
I actually already tried to run it manually and looked a bit around on the internet, I used :

Code: Select all

fsck/dev/sda1 
but I am just getting message that this doesn't exist. When looking for an answer, people were talking about rebootig with cds, so I though it might have something to do with the virtualbox itself, but if not, I will continue searching !

Thanks again for really quick reply and have a nice sunday :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

saaan wrote:

fsck/dev/sda1
That's the wrong syntax. You're supposed to put a "space" between the 'fsck' command and its argument '/dev/sda1'. As in:

fsck /dev/sda1
But this as I said, it's a Linux problem at the moment.
saaan wrote:(That will teach me to do backups..)
It most definitely should ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
saaan

Post by saaan »

OMG, that was the stupid space... I am so relived, thanks so much. Now I will back up everything !