VirtualBox NatNetwork help

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dupdup

VirtualBox NatNetwork help

Post by dupdup »

Hi team,
I am trying to use the 'new' NATNetwork feature in VirtualBox to try to solve the following issue:
- All VMs must be able to reach the internet
- All VMs must be able to talk to each other.
- My Windows host must be able to reach the VM (database hosted on the VM) -> I will use Port Forwarding for this

Previously I was using on each VM two connections, one NAT and one internal network, but this solution has never worked well. At some point, one of the two connections (or the configuration associated to it) would stop working. As a result, my goal to install cloudera on these never worked because either the SSH or the internet connection would disconnect.

So when I saw this NATNetwork, I thought it could help me.
This is how the the network is configured in VBox preferences

And then for each VM, I create a link to the NATNetwork

In turn, on the guest (Centos/Debian), the machine never catches DHCP, and when using manual IP, cannot pint 10.0.2.2 which is supposed to be this NATNetwork gateway

Do you have any idea of where my configuration is incorrect?

Thanks,
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VirtualBox NatNetwork help

Post by Perryg »

I believe the default gateway would be 10.0.2.1 in your case given the example from the users manual.
Here, “natnet1” is the name of the internal network to be used and “192.168.15.0/24” is the
network address and mask of the NAT service interface. By default in this static configuration the
gateway will be assigned the address 192.168.15.1
I did test this and it does in fact respond to .1 as gateway