Lubuntu 16.04 LTS SLOW on Mac host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jlj945

Lubuntu 16.04 LTS SLOW on Mac host

Post by jlj945 »

Hi all,
As the title suggests I'm running Lubuntu 16.04 as a guest (Ubuntu with LXDE). The host computer is a Mac Pro, 8 cores (2 quads) at 2.8ghz with 20gb of ram, Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
The Guest started out as a 3 core with 4GB of ram, 64mb vram. It took about 2 hours install, and once it was all done, guest additions and all it still runs pretty sluggish. It also takes about 10 min each time for it to boot, which has became infuriating so I've started closing it with a save state. It does pick up a *little* bit, after its booted, logged in, and I don't touch it for a few minutes.
VT-x, PAE/NX, Nested Paging, KVM are all enabled.
I've since then increased the guest to 6 cores, and 9gbs of ram, 128mb vram. It made literally *no difference*. And according to my host, the VM is using a mere 3 to 4gbs, and uses about 10 - 20% of one of my CPUs.
The only thing that helped a bit with the actual usability of the VM was to disable 3d support. I don't remember where, but in my googling I found that post ubuntu 14.something doesn't work well in vbox with 3d support.
The hard disk image is located on a Veracrypt image, but both are fixed, not dynamic. So I doubt that's the issue unless someone has a similar experience?
FrancoisD

Re: Lubuntu 16.04 LTS SLOW on Mac host

Post by FrancoisD »

I confirm : running OS X as host with Ubuntu Linux > 14, the 3D acceleration IS broken (they use new OpenGL version which seem unsupported).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@jlj945
  • Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle.
  • With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
@FrancoisD
Do you confirm that it takes you 10 min to boot the client, or is this a general rant about 3D support? If it is, then this is a different issue and we shouldn't be mixing different issues in one thread. Let's see the problem of 'jlj945' and then we can take a look at yours.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FrancoisD

Post by FrancoisD »

No, it doesn't take minutes to boot, it just behaves badly (I suspect because cinnamon strongly relies on Unity 3D properties). So it's maybe another problem, you're right: sorry.