Deleting linux headers for operation of VM

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bbernie16

Deleting linux headers for operation of VM

Post by bbernie16 »

Hi,
i have VB on an WIn 10 host, Ubuntu as Guest, Virtualbox Additions installed, everything is fine (e.g shared folder, network, ..)
To save some disk space i would like to uninstall linux-headers. Is there any need to keep them for operating the vm, and still use all Additions (shared folder). I guess headers are just needed for installation and not for ops.
Thx

Best Regards
bbernie
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Deleting linux headers for operation of VM

Post by socratis »

I would assume that you don't need the headers except for the compilation. But, if you upgrade your kernel or your Guest Additions (GAs), you're going to need them again. And if at that time, you don't have enough space to install the headers, your GAs might fail to work.

But I'm not a Linux expert, which is why I'm moving the thread to "Linux Guests" from "Windows Hosts", to get a second opinion...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Deleting linux headers for operation of VM

Post by Perryg »

It's Linux. You can do pretty much anything you want and know how to do. Headers (for the running kernel) are needed for compiling the kernel modules and yes you can remove them, but they are relatively a small package and if your disk space is so small that the header "weight" concerns you I would adjust the disk size to a larger state. See How to resize a Virtual Drive