[Solved] RedHat Linux guest on Ubuntu Server - VM started but not working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
TassosPan

[Solved] RedHat Linux guest on Ubuntu Server - VM started but not working

Post by TassosPan »

Hello.

I have a virtual machine file with Red Hat Linux OS (64 bit) which I can successfully run on my Desktop host PC which is a Ubuntu Desktop 14.04LTS (64 bit).

When I attempt to run the same virtual machine file (RHEL 64-bit) on a Server host running Ubuntu 16.04LTS (64bit) - in headless mode as I have no GUI installed at server -, although the vm starts, the guest OS does not seem to start.

I am attaching the logfile (VBox.log) as well as the vm config/xml file (.vbox).

Can you please give me a hint on what the problem might be?
Attachments
vmfiles.zip
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 3. Aug 2017, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: RedHat Linux guest on Ubuntu Server - VM started but not working

Post by Perryg »

What is the indication that the guest OS does not start? How do you connect to the guest?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Unfortunately the VM log is truncated just at the point it should get interesting. Please make sure that the VM is shut down before grabbing the log.

The only thing that stands out so far is that the extension pack is not installed. Therefore no USB, no VRDP, no webcam or disk encryption support.
TassosPan

Post by TassosPan »

Perryg wrote:What is the indication that the guest OS does not start? How do you connect to the guest?

I cannot connect to the guest. I have configured a static IP that won't ping and in the log it seems to me that the guest OS does not completely start....
TassosPan

Post by TassosPan »

mpack wrote:Unfortunately the VM log is truncated just at the point it should get interesting. Please make sure that the VM is shut down before grabbing the log.

The only thing that stands out so far is that the extension pack is not installed. Therefore no USB, no VRDP, no webcam or disk encryption support.
I have disabled usb etc but nevertheless ext pack should be installed at the host.

I will attach asap a log after a vm power off.
Thanks a lot
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The log stopping to record is probably because it can not find the network adapter. Moving from host to host will cause this if the host uses an adapter that is a lot different from the first. Can you try to start the guest in normal mode? Since it is a server it probably does not use a GUI. You might also want to look at the settings and make sure that the hosts adapter is the right one. You might be able to use NAT for this and port forwarding, but also remember that Don mentioned the Extension Pack. You will need that to be able to reach the guest in NAT mode..
TassosPan

Post by TassosPan »

Hello again. Attached the VBox.log file after the poweroff.
Attachments
VBox.log
(87.09 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
TassosPan

Post by TassosPan »

Perryg wrote:The log stopping to record is probably because it can not find the network adapter. Moving from host to host will cause this if the host uses an adapter that is a lot different from the first. Can you try to start the guest in normal mode? Since it is a server it probably does not use a GUI. You might also want to look at the settings and make sure that the hosts adapter is the right one. You might be able to use NAT for this and port forwarding, but also remember that Don mentioned the Extension Pack. You will need that to be able to reach the guest in NAT mode..
I have configured the .vbox file accordingly as eth0 was the interface used when I was running the vm at my PC and enp3s0 is the interface at the server side.
I need to be able to run it in Bridged mode as I want both server/host and vm/guest to be on my office LAN.
So it the guest (RHEL), at the .vdi while running at my desktop PC, I have configured a static IP of my office LAN.

I recall that if I assign an invalid NIC interface I get a vm error immediately. So I am not sure that this is the case.

Nevertheless, I will try and start the vm also without any network support and see If I have any progress in the log, although I won't be able to connect to the vm if it starts properly...

Thanks again!
TassosPan

Post by TassosPan »

Hello again.

I reconfigured the guest when running at my PC to use DHCP instead of static IP address.
Then I ran it on the Server and it worked ok.
So I suppose that the vm is running normally and there are networking issues.
I managed to ssh to the guest when running at server so all is a matter of configuring a static IP address in RHEL properly.

I think the case can be closed now.

I suppose that (after all), what was displayed in the log file was normal behavior...

Thank you all for your support.